It never really seemed like a longshot. But now, there is relatively little doubt.
Jon Diebler is on the verge of breaking Jay Burson's 22 year-old scoring record for the most points scored in a high school career in the state of Ohio.
Diebler is now just 111 points away from history, as he record games of 67, 69 and 40 points over the last two weeks. By averaging just 37 points a game, Diebler will break Burson's record on Feb. 23, the last game of the regular season, against the Norwalk Truckers at Upper Sandusky High School. Should he fall short, Diebler will likely eclipse the record March 2 at Mansfield Senior High School against the winner of Clear Fork and Galion in the sectional semifinal.
Despite being close to fulfilling the heavily-anticipated event, the 6-6 senior will have plenty of competition in the state for Mr. Basketball. His fellow Ohio State recruit, Kosta Koufos, is racking up over 26 points and 16 rebounds a game for Canton GlenOak.
* Koufos had 10 points and 13 rebounds in a narrow 28-26 victory against Massillon Perry in a "slow-down game" if ever there was one.
* Evan Turner, a 6-5 guard from Chicago St. Joseph scored games of 21 points and seven rebounds followed by 18 points and eight rebounds in a pair of victories.
* In a pair of blowout wins for Hargrave Military Academy, Eric Wallace had 11 and 19 points respectively in their last two games.
* Junior point guard Anthony Crater had 19 points, 12 assists and four steals for Southwestern Academy in a 78-42 win against Bay City Central.
* Another junior commitment, 6-5 William Buford of Toledo Libbey has been on fire recently. The possible Mr. Basketball candidate for next season had 41 points against Bowsher nearly two weeks ago, and since then, he's followed it up with 32 points and 11 rebounds against Rogers and 37 points and 12 rebounds against Akron St. Vincent St. Mary.
* The third of the talented quartet of Ohio State hoops commitments is the steady 7-1 center B.J. Mullens. Mullens continued his stellar consistency over the last week with 31 points, 15 rebounds and three blocks against Logan Elm. Mullens has recorded at least a double-double over his last eight games and scored at least 30 points in six of those eight games.
* Walter Offutt tallied 12 points and five rebounds in a 64-53 win against North Palestine Thursday.
* Luke Babbitt, the likeliest of uncommitted prospects for the 2008 recruiting class, wrapped up his regular season with games of 29 and 20 points in two wins for Reno Galena last week.
* Sophomore guard Roberto Nelson scored 20 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the regular season-ending 57-48 win for Santa Barbara.
* Tyler Griffey scored 8 points and had 10 rebounds in a 66-45 victory.
* Freshman Jared Sullinger scored games of 18 and 33 points in a pair of Northland victories to stretch their record to 19-0 on the season.
* Nationally-ranked freshman DeShaun Thomas had 36 points and 11 rebounds in his introduction to big time high school basketball for Bishop Luers.
For all the stats and results, click on the following link: