It may seem like a slow time of year, but lots of stuff is still going on here. We are continuing to talk to juniors and coaches and get info on them. Lots of research has been done, and I thought I'd share with you some of the names that have come up consistently as guys who could be in Top 100 lists come next year:
- QB Brian Brohm, Louisville Trinity (6-4, 190) -- I have seen people touting John David Booty as the #1 player, but if anyone's better than Brohm, I want to see it. He had 47 TDs and 1 INT last year and 3,777 yards passing, and that was not necessarily against weak competition (one of Trinity's wins was a 44-20 dusting of Ohio state champ Cincinnati Elder). Everyone who has seen him play raves about him, myself included! Here's an article from 2002.
- QB John David Booty, Shreveport Evangel Christian (6-3, 190) -- Another in the line of Bootys (Josh, Abram... truth be told, I'm not 100% sure of the relation although I think they are brothers, could be wrong though) to come out of Louisiana. He'll be one of the most talked-about players.
- QB Rhett Bohmar, Grand Prairie, TX (6-2, 190) -- This could be a QB-heavy year nationally, and one of the names I have heard a lot of is Bohmar. Texas has some excellent QBs this year though, including Stephen McGee (Burnett, TX 6-2, 185) and Graham Harrell (Ennis, TX 6-2, 180)
- QB Chad Henne, West Lawn, PA Wilson (6-4, 230) -- I've seen him mentioned more than once as Pennsylvania's top QB this year along with Pittsburgh Penn Hills QB Anthony Morelli (6-4, 200).
- QB Xavier Lee, Daytona Beach, FL Seabreeze (6-4, 195) -- I have seen him mentioned as one of Florida's top overall players, and he got a lot of press in the Orlando Sentinel as one of the area's best. He sounds like an excellent athlete. He was a Student Sports Junior All-American. People down in FL also seem to be high on Hawthorne QB Cornelius Ingram and Land O' Lakes QB Drew Weatherford.
- RB Adrian Peterson, Palestine, TX (6-2, 210) -- Another Student Sports Junior AA, he's a guy who has been mentioned along with RB Ivory Williams from Beaumont Central as possibly the best in the Lone Star State. Earl Campbell also has a son that is getting some pub.
- RB Tony Temple, Kansas City, MO Rockhurst -- A name that came up quite a bit. Check out this article from 2001 talking about him.
- RB Bobby Washington, Miami Killian (5-10, 190) -- Seems to be an early favorite for Florida's top RB. Other names include Homestead South Dade's Charlie Jones.
- RB Andrew Johnson, Pittsburgh North Hills (6-0, 200) -- Ranked by LionNews.com as PA's top RB in 2003.
- WR Xavier Carter, Palm Bay, FL (6-3, 180, 4.4) -- One of two great Xaviers in Central Florida. Sounds like a blue-chipper.
- OL Calvin Darity, Tallahassee Lincoln (6-4, 280) -- Student Sports All-American; have seen him mentioned more than once as Florida's top OL prospect this year, along with Jim Tartt of Crawfordville Wakulla
- LB Bo Olsen, Red Bank, NJ Regional (6-2, 225, 4.7) -- Another Olsen... I'm not sure if he's on the level of his brothers Chris and Greg (both Fighting Irish), but it's a name to remember.
- LB Jai Thaxton, Hart County, GA (6-3, 220, 4.6) -- I have seen him mentioned as one of Georgia's premier defensive prospects
- LB Dan Connor, Wallingford, PA Straith Haven -- #1 on LionNews.com's list of Pennsylvania's top upcoming seniors.
- ATH Early Doucet, St. Martinsville, LA (6-2, 210) -- Great athlete getting a lot of "Early" hype (Top players in LA from TulaneInsider)
Those are just a few, but most of those guys came up quite a bit in my searches. We are trying to find out if the Buckeyes are in on any of them. It seems like at least four Ohioans -- Ted Ginn, Fred Davis, Delbert Ferguson, and Marcus Freeman -- will be Top 100 guys as well.
Chat News! We're still working on trying to retrieve the transcript from Thursday's chat, but we will have a special guest joining us this upcoming Thursday. Cliff Reynolds will be joining us to talk football, so be sure to stop by! It will likely be around 2 EST.
Upcoming Projects We're always working to make things better around here, and we hope that Cliff is the first of several special guest chats to come this year. In the chat Thursday (the one I can't seem to get the transcript for; should be available next week though according to DigiChat support), some of you gave your thoughts on who would be good chat guests, and I can say that the wheels are already in motion to bring some of those guys in. Also, we are working on getting some multimedia types of things in here, but that is in the early phases.
Walk-on? Duane Long said on the message board last night that Columbus Mifflin LB George Anderson will walk on at OSU. That is a very good addition for a walk on as he was rated as one of OFS' top 100 players in Ohio. Speaking of OFS' top players, two juniors who Duane likes a lot who haven't been getting much publicity yet are Harrison D