OSU Commit Part of 12 Overtime Game

High school football history was made in East Texas on Friday night/Saturday morning and Oklahoma State commit Devin Davis was part of it. Jacksonville defeated Nacogdoches in a District 4A-14 battle with playoff implications. The game did not end until 12:58 a.m. Saturday after lasting five hours, 28 minutes and 12 overtime periods, which is believed to be a national high school record.

Davis was playing on the offensive line for Nacogdoches. Unfortunately, Davis was on the losing side as Rodrigo Carreon connected on a 19-yard field goal for the winning points in the 84-81 win by Jacksonville.

"It was different," said Davis of the experience. "As it kept going on and on, it felt more like war as we had to keep going out there and fight for touchdowns and keep tying it up while trying to take the lead."

It was more difficult for the Nacogdoches Golden Dragons as they entered the game with a 3-5 overall record and 2-3 in district, and needed to win by seven points to keep their playoff hopes alive. That made it a really unique situation for them as compared to Jacksonville, who at 6-2 and 4-1 entering the game, only needed a win to assure a playoff spot.

"At first we didn't know why we didn't just kick a field goal and win the game," explained the 6-6, 255-pound Davis. "Then our coach called us over after the first couple of overtimes and told us we needed to win by eight points to go to the playoffs and we had to play for that through the overtime. That was the reason we kept it alive like we did."

Nacogdoches had the game won several times but intentionally missed extra points or skipped on winning field goal tries in order to keep the game going.

The two teams not only combined for 165 points, but also 60 first downs and more than 1,000 yards, none of which are national records, but they are some crazy statistics.

Jacksonville led 28-14 at halftime and it was Nacogdoches that came back in the game.

"We felt pretty good about it going into overtime because we had played better in the second half after they jumped on us early."

Davis told us that his mother, Sheila, had to leave before the game was over to take his nephew home. She wasn't alone as about half the Senior Night crowd at Nacogdoches had left over the course of the nearly six hours of game time. His dad, Kevin, was there to the very end and, according to Devin, was shocked by it all.

"I feel pretty good today," said Davis, who will finish his high school career next week with the final regular season game at Hallsville. "I still feel sore and a little tired. Right after the game I felt completely drained. The really wasn't any energy left by the teams to shake hands."

Davis is planning on making the trip to Stillwater for the Bedlam game later in November.

He committed to Oklahoma State in July after showing up well in a camp at East Texas State University. Davis said he has improved and is playing even better this season. He also said he will throw the discus for the Golden Dragons track team this spring.

GoPokes Top Stories