We added a new game week constant last week in Game Objectives, which we will do each week and which will vary, except for the first objective of "Win" as that will always stay the same. We will come back on Sundays and review and show which objectives the Cowboys met and which ones they failed to meet.
I invite you to respond, adding your own or calling some of mine out as unreasonable or not enough, and then on Sunday we get to see how the Cowboys matched up with what we thought.
Objectives and Explanations for the UTSA Game
1. Win - This game is the third and final game in this contract with the Roadrunners, and Oklahoma State needs to stay perfect, 3-0 on the season and 3-0 vs. UTSA. It is also the last nonconference game so momentum is important to carry next week to Austin against Texas in the Big 12 opener.
2. Score First and Build a Double Digit Lead by the End of the First Quarter - This is something Kansas State could not do last week against UTSA in the Alamo Dome in San Antonio. This is a good team so accomplishing this would be a strong positive. By halftime the lead should be a three-score advantage with the Cowboy pushing it on.
3. The offense needs to shoot for the following:
35 points or more
480 yards of total offense or more
200 yards rushing or more
250 yards passing or more No turnovers
Fewer than 10 yards in lost rushing yardage
4. Defense needs to shoot for the following:
10 points or less
300 yards of total defense or more
100 yards rushing or less
200 yards passing or less
Force at least 3 turnovers Have at least four sacks
5. Special teams needs to shoot for the following:
Make all placements, field goals of less than 50 yards and PATs
Average 43 yards or better on punts, net of 38 yards or better
No big returns allowed on kickoffs or punts
Two explosive return on kickoffs of 35 yards or more and one on punts of 20 yards or more