Quarterback Nick Starkel de-commits from Oklahoma State and says he will reopen his recruiting

Nick Starkel, the only quarterback commit in Oklahoma State's recruiting class, has de-committed from the Cowboys and will be reopening his recruiting.

Quarterback Nick Starkel, a finalist for the Elite 11 this past summer who has been committed to Oklahoma State since April, announced Sunday that he is opening his recruiting back up and has de-committed from the Cowboys.

“I’ve been trying to decide if I picked the right school,” Starkel told GoPokes.com’s Robert Allen on Sunday. “I spoke to people close to me, family and friends, and they said, ‘Why don’t you just open up your recruitment?’ I also prayed about it.”

On Sunday afternoon, Starkel called Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy and offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich to inform them of his decision.

The senior at Liberty Christian High School in Argyle, Texas is scheduled to make an official visit to OSU on Jan. 14, a big recruiting weekend when most of the Cowboys other commits are also scheduled to make the trip to Stillwater. “I’m probably not going to make that visit,” he said. “(But) I am still considering Oklahoma State.” 

Starkel made numerous unofficial visits to OSU this fall, including attending at least four of the Cowboys home games this season.

In recent weeks there have been rumors that both UCLA and USC have contacted Starkel.

Starkel was the only quarterback commit in the Oklahoma State recruiting class, although Nyc Burns of Berryhill (Okla.) High School announced earlier this month that he would be joining the program as a preferred walk-on.

As a senior at Liberty Christian, Starkel was 202 of 364 passing (55.5 percent) for 3,091 yards and 29 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in leading the Warriors to a 6-5 record.


GoPokes Top Stories