Cowboys Stun Red Raiders

STILLWATER – A redshirt freshman ran for 161 yards. A sophomore quarterback and sophomore running back came off the bench to lead the game-winning drive. But it's a game 19 seniors – playing their final game at home – will remember for the rest of their lives as Oklahoma State used a superb defensive effort to upset the 13th-ranked Texas Tech Red Raiders 24-17 on Saturday afternoon at Boone Pickens Stadium.

The Cowboys, who were 24-point underdogs to the Red Raiders, won for the first time since September, breaking a five-game losing streak to give Mike Gundy the first Big 12 Conference win of his coaching career. The win also was OSU's first over a ranked opponent since a 38-34 victory over No. 22 Kansas State on Oct. 11, 2003.

OSU is now 4-5 on the season and the win keeps its bowl hopes alive with road games at Baylor (Nov. 19) and Oklahoma (Nov. 26) remaining in the regular season. Texas Tech falls to 8-2.

"This is a great win for our team," Gundy said. "We are all very excited. I thought out defensive staff did an unbelievable job with their game plan."

Mike Hamilton, the redshirt freshman from Melboure, Fla., rushed for 161 yards and broke the school freshman rushing record (with 868 yards) previously held by Jamaal Fobbs (846). He also scored the first touchdown of his OSU career on an 83-yard run in the first quarter – the longest scoring run by a Cowboy since Tatum Bell's 95-yard TD run against Tech on Oct. 18, 2003.

Al Pena, the sophomore quarterback from Leander, Texas, who started the season as the third teamer, came off the bench in the fourth quarter to lead the Cowboys to the winning touchdown with a 1-yard quarterback sneak with just 23 seconds left in the game. Pena directed the Cowboys on a 13-play, 80-yard drive that took 6:20 off the clock.

Julius Crosslin, the sophomore running back from Amarillo, Texas, had just eight rushing attempts in the first 56 minutes of action Saturday. But the 5-foot-11, 240-pound battering ram got the ball on six straight carries on the game-winning drive – for gains of 11, 9, 10, 2, 12 and 2 yards – to set the Cowboys up at Tech 2-yard line with just 1:08 remaining.

The Cowboy defense was sensational throughout the game – holding Tech's offense without a point for a half for the first time in 31 games (since early in the 2003 season). Defensive coordinator Vance Bedford's crew entered the game allowing 30.1 points per game (90th in the nation), 228.8 rushing yards (117th) and 425 total yards (95th). But against a Texas Tech team averaging 47 points game (third in the nation), 433.3 passing yards (first) and 545.2 total yards (second) the Cowboy defense was outstanding – only allowing 10 points and the Red Raiders a season-low 338 yards.

"The thing we learned in this game is we were dealt some adversity in the fourth quarter, just like their team was, and we handled very effectively in this game, unlike the Texas game," Gundy said." We got a fumble (and) didn't score, then had a chance to score and threw an interception, and then our defense held them and we were able to drive the ball in the end. Larry (Fedora) and I talked on the headset, and I said ‘Larry, I want to see if they can stop our running game. I want to run it right at them. I want to go down and score and not leave them any time on the clock.'"

The Cowboys jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter on Hamilton's 83-yard scoring run and quarterback Bobby Reid's 17-yard touchdown pass to D'Juan Woods. Bruce Redden's 29-yard field goal midway through the third period gave the Cowboys a 17-0 advantage.

But, as the Boone Pickens Stadium crowd of 40,035 expected, the Red Raiders came storming back to pull within 17-10. Tech quarterback Craig Hodges directed scoring drives of 68 and 78 yards that resulted in a Alex Trlica 29-yard field goal and a 4-yard touchdown pass to Jarrett Hicks.

The Cowboys were flagged for a personal foul penalty on the ensuing kickoff and were forced to start on their own 8-yard line. Reid, who was playing for the first time in a month after recovering from three dislocated toes on his right foot, was forced out of the pocket on first down. He was stripped of the ball by Tech linebacker John Saldi and nose tackle Chris Hudler recovered in the end zone for a touchdown, tying the score 17-17 with 14:23 remaining.

The two teams exchanged several turnovers in the final 14 minutes of play but neither team could take advantage of the miscues. OSU senior Paul Duren recovered a fumble at midfield when a Cowboy punt hit Darcel McBath in the back. The Cowboys could not move the ball and were forced to punt.

Hodges gave the ball back on Tech's first play from scrimmage. The Tech quarterback was scrambling and stripped of the ball by Cowboy defensive end Jerry Don Bray and Ryan McBean recovered on the 31-yard line. Five plays later, facing a second-and-goal from the Tech 7, Tech's Hudler came up with his second big play of the game, intercepting a Pena pass across the middle.

Tech got two first downs and moved to midfield before the Cowboy defense stiffened and forced a Red Raider punt, which Daniel McLemore watched go into the end zone for a touchback with 6:43 remaining. Thirteen plays and 80 yards later Pena dove into the end zone to give the Cowboys the win.

Texas Tech 0 0 3 14 - 17
Oklahoma State 14 0 3 7 - 24
OSU – Mike Hamilton 83-yard run (Bruce Redden kick) (5 plays, 98 yards)
OSU – D'Juan Woods 17-yard pass from Bobby Reid (Bruce Redden kick) (13 plays, 66 yards)
OSU – Bruce Redden 29-yard field goal (11 plays, 38 yards)
TT – Alex Trlica 29-yard field goal (6 plays, 68 yards)
TT – Jarrett Hicks 4-yard pass from Cody Hodges (Alex Trlica kick) (nine plays, 78 yards)
TT – Chris Hudler recovers fumble in end zone (Trlica kick)
OSU – Al Pena 1-yard run (Bruce Redden kick)

GoPokes Top Stories