OSU Basketball Notebook

Tyler Hatch got the first start of his Division I playing career Saturday against Texas Tech. The former walkon played the first five minutes before Terrel Harris came off the bench to replace him. Harris and Byron Eaton were on the bench because both fell asleep while the team was going over the Texas Tech scouting report Friday night.

"A couple of guys fell asleep last night during the scouting report, so that's why they didn't start," said Cowboy head coach Sean Sutton of Eaton and Harris. Eaton finally got in the game midway through the first half, and finished with 7 points and 8 assists with just 2 turnovers in 22 minutes.

But the OSU coaching staff continues to harp on the sophomore point guard about losing weight. "We put him on the scales yesterday and he was 226 pounds," Sutton said. "He's got to become more disciplined. There's only so much that we can do. We can talk to him, and the nutritionist can talk to him, and work him out but at some point he has to have the desire to lose the weight.

"I pointed out to him that Mario (Boggan) lost 65 pounds, Kenny Cooper has lost 80 pounds, (and KU freshman) Sherron Collins has lost 29 pounds this year. If he really wants to be a really good player at this level he's got to control his weight and control his eating habits. I thought he played pretty well today, but he'll be a lot better player and play a lot more minutes when he learns he's got to get in shape."

This time the Cowboys get the foul
A year ago in Lubbock the Cowboys were up by three in the game's final seconds. They tried to foul Tech's Jarrius Jackson but couldn't and the Red Raider guard nailed a three-pointer to tie the game and send it into overtime. The Red Raiders eventually won the game 92-90.

The Cowboys didn't let that happen Saturday. After Boggan's free throw put the Cowboys up 92-89 with 4.1 seconds left in the second overtime, the Red Raiders in bounded to Jackson who sped up court looking for a game-tying three-pointer. But JamesOn Curry and Marcus Dove were both going to make sure he didn't get the chance. Curry was whistled for the foul with 1.3 seconds left on the clock as he neared the mid-court line. Jackson hit the first free throw and then after a Red Raider timeout he sank the second, although Tech head coach Bobby Knight said after the game that he was trying to miss.

"We obviously wanted to foul," Sutton said. "Last year when we were out there we tried to foul twice and didn't get the call. That's something we've practice on four or five times (this season), trying to foul as the guy comes across half court. JamesOn and Marcus did a great job of not fouling too early, and making sure that he didn't ever get into a shooting motion when they could have called them for a foul on a three-point shot."

When will Obi return?
Freshman Obi Muonelo, who has been out since Dec. 17 with a broken bone in his left leg, could return by the end of the month, Sutton said following the game. "I think there's a good chance he could get back by either the Kansas State game here (on Feb. 27) or the Baylor game at Waco (on March 3), that's kinda the time line that the doctors are looking at," the Cowboy head coach said.

GoPokes Top Stories