Recruiting: Deaton's Surgery A Success

Oklahoma State quarterback commitment Johnny Deaton of Sand Springs (Charles Page), Okla., underwent successful surgery for a broken collarbone on his right throwing arm Wednesday afternoon, his dad told on Wednesday evening. Deaton will be able to begin working out in six weeks and still plans to enroll at Oklahoma State for the spring semester, Johnny Deaton said.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Deaton suffered the broken collarbone while running with the ball during the Sandites' season opener at Enid last Friday night. "It was just a quarterback lead and after about 10 yards he got tackled from behind, and they just fell on him wrong," said his dad.

The surgery was performed by orthopedic surgeon Brad Boone who told the Deatons that all went well with the hour-long surgery.

"He put a titanium plate in there, and said that's what he'd do if it was his boy," said Deaton's dad, who reported that the family was home Wednesday evening and the future Cowboy quarterback was resting comfortably.

"Dr. Boone said that if he wasn't going to be playing again after this season, and if this was his last year to play football, that he could probably be back in six or seven weeks," said Deaton's dad.

There's a possibility that Deaton could return to the playing field if the Sandites were to make the postseason playoffs but "if something happened then, Dr. Boone said it would set him back six more months, so I don't think that's something we want to risk," Mr. Deaton said.

"He'll start working out in six weeks. He's so fired up about being up there (in Stillwater) in December."

Ironically, the collarbone injury is the third that Deaton has suffered since this summer. He suffered a high ankle sprain over the summer, and then began experience shin splints during fall practice, before suffering the broken collarbone last Friday.

"It's been a weird year for him. He's never been hurt in his life. He's never missed a day of practice, yet alone a game, in the past three years as a high school player," Mr. Deaton said. "It's been horrible on him."

Deaton and future Cowboy teammate Montra Nelson, an OSU commitment from Arlington (Bowie), Texas, were expected to attend OSU's opener on Saturday against Georgia. Nelson had driven up to Enid from Arlington and was in attendance when Deaton got hurt, and had a chance to visit with him Friday night, before making the trip to Stillwater himself. Deaton was in the emergency room until 6:30 Saturday morning and unable to make the trip.

But Mr. Deaton says that his son is planning to attend Saturday's game against Houston at Boone Pickens Stadium.

GoPokes Top Stories