Bye Week Quotables

Sooners Illustrated caught up with the Sooners throughout their off week, and here's some of the interesting things that were said.

"I see it as I'm hoping that Landry is gaining that confidence in me. If he's not, then he's not. But, usually I'm making plays like that, that's helping him gain his confidence in me."--Freshman wide receiver Kenny Stills on the confidence redshirt quarterback Landry Jones has in him

"I hope he gets back to where he was, but ultimately you want as much quality depth as you can have whoever it is. Once he gets back to where he was, I think we have a couple very strong middle linebackers.--Defensive coordinator Brent Venables on where junior linebacker Austin Box will fit in when healthy

"It's tremendous. Last year we lost all those games because of stupid penalties like that; little mental errors. We lost games by one point, two points, three points because of little things like that. This year, we're not making those mistakes and we're getting the ball in the end zone."--Senior running back Mossis Madu on the offensive line's growth

"The hardest play to call is the first play because I've got all week to think about it and what's going to screw up."--Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson on the first play call of the game

"Defensively wise, we're not close to where we want to be. We're still playing great defense 80 percent of the time, and the other 20 percent we've given up big plays. And we're giving up too many points in the fourth quarter. So, it's good to be 5-0 and have all the problems that we do."--Junior linebacker Travis Lewis on the state of the defense

Follow me at or

Sooners Illustrated Top Stories