Offense Torches Baylor, OU Records Road Win

WACO, Texas — For the first time all year, the Sooners won in a true road environment, as they defeated the Baylor Bears 53-24 in a game that frankly was never close Saturday night in front of 36,034 at Floyd Casey Stadium.

"Yeah, well everything [went right offensively and] defensively, too," said OU head coach Bob Stoops. "I mean, you're sitting there too with a 50-10 lead in the fourth quarter. You've done a lot right."

And it started early in the game.

Running back DeMarco Murray got things going when he busted loose 76 yards down the left sideline on a swing pass from quarterback Landry Jones for a touchdown on OU's second possession of the game to give them a 7-0 early lead.

A bewildering play call moments later—Baylor attempted a fourth-and-1 deep in its own territory and came up short—allowed the Sooners to set up shop at the Bears' 33-yard line, and they made them pay.

Murray broke loose, this time for a 13-yard touchdown run to make it 14-0.

"You know, I felt fresh," Murray said. "That's the thing. At the end of the year, you want to continue to feel fresh, and I had a good week of practice."

After Baylor muffed a punt late in the first quarter, running back Roy Finch drew "Oohs" and "Ahhs" from the Sooner faithful when he brilliantly kept his balance on a 8-yard scamper that extended the OU advantage to 21-0.

But the Bears responded a few plays later, as quarterback Robert Griffin found tight end Brad Taylor for a 12-yard touchdown pass, cutting the deficit to two scores.

However, OU quickly once again went up three touchdowns when Jones found a wide open slot receiver Ryan Broyles for a 5-yard score at the 10:02 mark in the second quarter.

"We definitely came out strong," Broyles said. "That's what we need, get started good on the road."

At that point, it was 28-7.

A pair of field goals, one from 28 yards and the other from 33 yards out, made it 34-7 at halftime.

And it even got worse.

On the opening possession of the second half, defensive end Ronnell Lewis picked off Griffin and took it to the house to make it 41-7 with 14:13 remaining in the third.

"Our guys really came to play," said defensive coordinator Brent Venables. "[I'm] really, really pleased with their overall effort, attitude, again, through three quarters of play really dominated."

Baylor did manage to answer a string of 20 unanswered points when place kicker Aaron Jones booted through a 44-yarder.

But OU still wasn't done yet.

Up 31 points, Jones threw a 49-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Kenny Stills.

Defensive back Marcus Trice then stripped the Baylor return man on the ensuing kickoff, and the ball went through the end zone for a safety, making it 50-10.

Stevens kicked his third field goal of the evening, a 25-yarder to give OU a 53-10 advantage heading into the fourth quarter.

"You've got a defensive touchdown, you hold them again to that point level going into the fourth quarter [is impressive]," Stoops said.

Baylor running back Jarred Salubi took a 4-yard pitch in for a touchdown early in the fourth, though, to cut it to 53-17, and the Bears scored the final points of the game when Salubi broke loose for a 38-yard touchdown run midway through the final quarter.

OU outgained the Bears 462 to 361.

Jones finished 26-of-39 for 325 yards and three touchdowns along with one interception, while Griffin was 20-for-33 passing for 124 yards and a touchdown and two picks.

Murray led the rushing and receiving attack in yardage with 14 carries on 62 yards and a touchdown on the ground, as well as six catches for 120 yards and a touchdown in the air.

Broyles finished with a game-high 12 receptions for 113 yards and a touchdown.

This victory sets up a winner-take-all matchup between OU and Oklahoma State next week to see who advances to the Big 12 Championship game.

Follow me at or

Sooners Illustrated Top Stories