Big Plays Boost OU to Bedlam Victory, Big 12s

STILLWATER, Okla. — In the craziest of fourth quarters, showing it's called Bedlam for a reason, the Sooners had the last laugh, squeezing an onside kick attempt by Oklahoma State in the final minute to hang on for a 47-41 victory that will most certainly send them to the Big 12 Championship next weekend in Arlington.

"I will start by complimenting Oklahoma State for a great, well-played and hard-fought game," said OU head coach Bob Stoops. "What a game through the fourth quarter."

What a finish, indeed.

After linebacker Austin Box made a miraculous pick off a batted ball by linebacker Travis Lewis, place kicker Jimmy Stevens booted through a 26-yard field goal to put the Sooners up 33-24 with 5:53 remaining, seemingly putting them in total command of this one.

But that's when things got wild.

Quarterback Brandon Weeden led the Cowboys down the field 66 yards in six plays and brought OSU within two at 33-21 when he hit star wide receiver Justin Blackmon for a 15-yard touchdown pass.

That set the stage for another one of the game's biggest plays.

On third-and-12 with OSU one play away from getting the ball back, OU quarterback Landry Jones found wide receiver Cameron Kenney wide open in the middle of the field, and he sprinted towards the end zone for an 86-yard score.

"It just happened so fast," Kenney said. "I just know how to run my route as fast as I could. I didn't know if the ball was coming to me or not, and Landry took that trust in me and shot me the ball."

It was once again a nine point lead, and with only 3:30 remaining, the game was all but over, right?


OSU's Justin Gilbert took the ensuing kickoff return 89 yards to pay dirt, once again making it a two-point margin at 40-38.

Following the kickoff and a 4-yard run, though, OU came up with the most crucial play of the day.

Instead of forcing the ‘Pokes to use their final timeout or just running the clock down, offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson elected to run play action on second-and-6.

And it paid off.

Jones found tight end James Hanna for the 76-yard touchdown and a 47-38 advantage.

"Coach Wilson did a good job of setting that play up the play before, and the safeties thought we were going to run the ball," Hanna said. "Landry threw a great pass to me, and I just ran hard."

The Cowboys weren't done yet, though.

After moving 40 yards in eight plays, they settled for a field goal that cut the deficit to 47-41.

But slot receiver Ryan Broyles came up with the onside kick, which enabled OU to ice it.

OU got on the board first when fullback Trey Millard blasted up the middle for a 6-yard touchdown midway through the first quarter and a 7-0 lead.

The Sooners got the ball back quickly after a three-and-out for OSU, but OU quarterback Landry Jones left a pass short of the boundary that he intended to throw away, and cornerback Brodrick Brown picked it off, setting the Cowboys up with great field position.

However, after driving inside the 10, OU's defense held in a goal-to-go situation, forcing a 23-yard field goal by kicker Dan Bailey.

"We knew coming into the game that they're a great offense [and] they're going to make their plays and they did," said defensive end Jeremy Beal. "We didn't let that get us down. We knew that going into the game, so we just got to stay in our even wave."

That cut the Sooner lead to 7-3 at the time.

OU extended it to two possessions early in the second quarter when Jones hit slot receiver Ryan Broyles for a 2-yard touchdown pass.

The Sooner defense held again, and it appeared the Crimson and Cream had all the momentum, with a chance to go up 14 and possibly 18.

"Again, guys really did a nice job up front that allowed those guys in the back to make plays on the ball, too," said defensive coordinator Brent Venables of his unit's performance.

That's when Jones made a critical mistake, tossing a pick-six that linebacker Shaun Lewis returned 52 yards to the barn.

Minutes later, though, OU had a response.

Wide receiver Cameron Kenney scored the first of his two touchdowns when he capped off a 12-play drive, 56-yard drive spanning 4:22 with an 8-yard touchdown reception from Jones to make it 21-10.

"We made some mistakes that we wouldn't normally make," said OSU linebacker Orie Lemon. "But everybody played with all the effort they could and gave it their all."

OU had a chance to add to its lead with the ball in Cowboys' territory later in the quarter, but Jones' third interception--it was Lewis' second pick--squandered that opportunity.

With just more than a minute remaining in the first half, OSU running back Jeremy Smith found paint with a 2-yard touchdown run to bring the Cowboys back within four.

That's when the Sooners rhythmically drove downfield and ended the half with a 29-yard field goal from Jimmy Stevens, making it 24-17 at intermission.

"Jimmy Stevens got the first game ball when we got in there," Stoops said. "I told him he was the biggest difference in the game making all his kicks the way he did."

The all-important possession coming out of the half allowed OSU to tie the game up when receiver Josh Cooper caught a 20-yard touchdown toss from quarterback Brandon Weeden.

A defensive struggle ensued for the rest of the third quarter.

The Sooners then regained the lead early in the fourth quarter when Stevens converted his second field goal of the evening, this time from 24 yards out, putting OU back on top 27-24.

OU's defense did its job yet again, setting the stage for the most methodical drive of the day.

The Sooners marched 74 yards on 17 plays and ate up 4:30 off the clock, tacking on another field goal to make it 30-24 and set the stage for the madness.

"I'm just surprised the way it happened," Beal said. "I'm not surprised it was a high scoring game, but it's just the way it happened, back and forth. It was kind of emotional, Bedlam."

Despite throwing three first half picks, Jones settled in to throw for 468 yards and four touchdowns on 37-of-62 passing.

Kenney led the Sooners with 141 receiving yards and a pair of touchdowns on six receptions, while Hanna had four catches for 140 yards.

Murray rushed for 80 yards on 20 carries.

For Oklahoma State, Weeden completed 28-of-43 passes for 257 yards and two touchdowns to go along with three interceptions.

Blackmon caught eight balls for 105 yards and a touchdown.

And running back Kendall Hunter finished with only 55 yards on 13 rushing attempts.

The BCS Standings come out Sunday at 7 p.m., and those will decide the South representative in the Big 12 Championship and separate a three-way tie between OU, OSU and Texas A&M, all three of which are 6-2.

OU figures to be the highest of the three and will earn the spot unless Texas A&M is within one spot.

Follow me at or

Sooners Illustrated Top Stories