Defensive coordinator Mike Stoops took off to Texas to catch a Cibolo Steele HS practice Tuesday afternoon and check out a couple prospects on the Sooner radar.
Safety Erik Huhn, who already holds an OU offer amongst his double digit list, is one of those.
Tuesday, Stoops and the Sooners actually offered Livingston HS cornerback Chevoski Collins, a three-star player and the 32nd ranked corner in the country.
No doubt, there are other players across the Red River OU has extreme interest in.
One of those, of course, is defensive tackle Justin Manning.
A five-star interior defensive lineman and one of the best in the nation (No. 4), Manning has a host of offers, 14 to be exact, and OU is just as high as anyone on that list.
In fact, many figure he'll end up donning the Crimson and Cream.
Here now is a closer look at the recruiting focus in Texas.
Two of the first four commits hail from the Lone Star State:
1. Running back Keith Ford--OU's first 2013 commitment was nothing short of spectacular, as it locked up the No. 2 back in the country. Ford is a five-star product from Cypress Ranch HS that runs with a purpose. He's a bruiser who can bust through tackles and accelerate through holes to the end zone.
2. Defensive end Matt Dimon--Just a few days after the Sooners got commitment No. 1, No. 2 also came in from the Houston metro. Dimon, a 6-foot-3, 245-pound D-end pledged to the Sooners back on March 13. He brings productivity (55 tackles last year, including 20 for loss, 12 sacks and six forced fumbles) but he also brings a blue-collar mentality to the defensive line. His toughness and discipline fit in perfectly with defensive ends coach Bobby Jack Wright's philosophy.
Lone Star State uncommitted offerees:
1. Running back Dontre Wilson from Desoto HS in Desoto, TX
2. Defensive tackle Justin Manning from Justin F Kimball HS in Dallas, TX
3. Defensive end Torrodney Prevot from Taylor HS in Houston, TX
4. Middle linebacker Mike Mitchell from Prestonwood Christian HS in Plano, TX
5. Safety George Baltimore from Mansfield HS in Mansfield, TX
6. Safety Erik Huhn from Steele HS in Cibolo, TX
7. Cornerback Maurice Smith from Dulles HS in Sugar Land, TX
8. Cornerback Antwuan Davis from Bastrop HS in Bastrop, TX
9. Cornerback Chevoski Collins from Livingston HS in Livingston, TX
Lone Star State committed offerees:
1. Quarterback Tyrone Swoopes from Whitewright HS in Whitewright, TX
2. Wide receiver Jacorey Warrick from Cypress Falls HS in Houston, TX
3. Wide receiver Derrick Griffin from B F Terry HS in Rosenberg, TX
4. Wide receiver Laquvionte Gonzalez from Cedar Hill HS in Cedar Hill, TX
5. Wide receiver J'Mon Moore from Lawrence E. Elkins HS in Missouri City, TX
6. Offensive tackle Kent Perkins from Lake Highlands HS in Dallas, TX
7. Offensive tackle J.J. Gustafson from Jesuit College Prep School in Dallas, TX
8. Offensive tackle Jake Raulerson from Celina HS in Celina, TX
9. Center Darius James from Harker Heights HS in Killeen, TX
10. Outside linebacker Deoundrei Davis from Cypress Woods HS in Cypress, TX
11. Outside linebacker Deon Hollins from Marshall HS in Missouri City, TX
Break it all down and out of the 92 total offers currently out for the 2013 class, 21 of those are to players in the state of Texas.
Just a little less than half of those are still on the board, and the Sooners are actively pursuing all of those players.
Mitchell has heavy interest in OU, as do Huhn and Manning.
So, OU is spending time in Texas and spending it wisely despite the recent surge in California prospects.
Stay tuned for the next Texas commit because one will be again coming sooner or later.