10. Football team scores 55 points in the first half against Kansas State, setting a first half record and tying the record for the most in a half in a game
Oct. 25, 2008--The Sooners were still just two weeks removed from a devastating Red River Rivalry loss to the Texas Longhorns. But quarterback Sam Bradford and the rest of the Sooner offense racked up 528 yards of total offense en route to a record-setting first half.
9. OU men's basketball team wins Preseason NIT
Nov. 28, 2008--Perhaps the first defining moment arrived for the men's basketball team when it defeated the Purdue Boilermakers 87-82 in overtime. It was right in the middle of the Sooners' 12-0 stretch to start the season.
8. Men's basketball defeats Syracuse, advances to Elite Eight
March 27, 2009--While OU ultimately fell short against the North Carolina Tar Heels in the Elite Eight, two days earlier they enacted revenge in the Sweet 16 against the team that beat them the last time they were in the Elite Eight. The Sooners defeated the Syracuse Orangemen 84-71 in Memphis, Tenn.
7. Women's basketball team comes back from a 26-point deficit to defeat Cal
Dec. 13, 2008--If you say you saw this one coming, you're crazy. The Sooners faced a 26-point deficit twice, including a 26-point halftime deficit, and overcame it to beat the California Bears 86-75. It marks the largest ever comeback for a team to win in regulation in a women's college basketball game.
6. Blake Griffin goes off for 40 points and 23 rebounds and is the first such player to do so for OU since Wayman Tisdale in 1983
Feb. 14, 2009--In what will forever be known as "The Terminator's" game, Griffin became only the third ever Sooner to score 40 points and grab 20 rebounds in a single game, joining Tisdale and Alvan Adams as the only other two in history to do so. After the game, Texas Tech head coach Pat Knight was so impressed that he compared Griffin to the Terminator.
5. Women's basketball wins Big 12 regular season championship on Senior Night
March 4, 2009--It's funny how every big game comes to be known for one single moment. This time, it wasn't during the game. After the Sooners finished off Texas Tech 61-49 to claim the outright Big 12 Championship, senior center Courtney Paris proclaimed she would pay back her scholarship if the Sooners didn't win the national championship. Ultimately, the Sooners didn't win the national title, and Paris still claims to hold true to her promise.
4. Griffin wins AP National Player of the Year
April 3, 2009--He is one of the best players ever to have put on a uniform at the University of Oklahoma, and he might just be the best ever. Griffin recorded 22.7 points per game and 14.4 rebounds per game in his second and final year as a Sooner en route to becoming the unanimous AP National Player of the Year.
3. Bradford wins the Heisman Trophy
Dec. 13, 2008--On this date, he became the fourth player in Sooner history to win the Heisman Trophy and only the second ever quarterback at OU to earn the honor. Bradford and former quarterback Jason White have both brought home a Heisman for OU in the last six years.
2. OU women's basketball team earns trip to the Final Four by defeating Purdue in Oklahoma City
March 31, 2009--It was at this point where Paris' proclamation seemed to be coming true when the Sooners overcame a five-point halftime deficit to defeat the Boilermakers and punch their ticket to St. Louis, where the Sooners ultimately fell short.
1. OU wins third straight Big 12 championship in football, earns trip to the national championship
Dec. 6, 2008--The Sooners became the first ever program to win three straight Big 12 football titles, completing an improbable comeback up the BCS ranks and on their way to a national championship appearance when they defeated the Missouri Tigers 62-21 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. That, along with the football team becoming the only one of the three to compete for a national championship, places it in the top spot.