OU's Big Monday

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma (10-6, 1-1) posted a 62-57 overtime win over Oklahoma State (13-3, 1-1) on Monday at Lloyd Noble Center.

Big Monday was everything it was hyped up to be.


It was characterized by the typical tremendous energy, hustle and defense of a Bedlam matchup, a game dominated by poor field goal shooting, the kind that is so often won by the team that makes the few key plays when necessary, and in the end, that was the Sooners outlasting the Cowboys 62-57 in front of 11,143 at the Lloyd Noble Center.

"I thought both teams competed at a very high level and I thought both teams really, really wanted to win," said OU head coach Jeff Capel. "I'm proud of our guys. I thought we fought for 45 minutes. It wasn't pretty, but we found a way to play some pretty good defense throughout the evening."

OU opened the game up on an 8-0 run which included a pair of threes by freshman guard Tommy Mason-Griffin sandwiched around a jumper by freshman forward Tiny Gallon

But the Cowboys quickly fought back, using a 14-5 run to take their first lead of the game at 14-13

From that point on, it was a battle.

If you don't believe it, just ask OSU freshman guard Raymond Penn, who finished with 14 points in his first edition of Bedlam.

"It was war," Penn said. "Coach told us, ‘When you come to Bedlam it's an all-out war.' I got a busted lip, blood all over my leg, but it was fun. If I had to do it again I would."

OSU briefly took a five point lead, but then it was OU who used a couple of baskets to pull back within one at the break, as the Cowboys led it 29-28.

After the Sooners scored the second half's first points, OSU surged on yet another run, this time a 13-4 spurt that gave them their largest lead of the night, at 42-34, with just more than 13 minutes left.

But back came the Sooners.

A trio of threes by senior guard Tony Crocker, Mason-Griffin and freshman guard Stephen Pledger, as well as a layup converted by sophomore guard Willie Warren, boosted a 13-0 run that gave the Sooners the lead once again.

"There in the second half we hit two big 3's by two freshmen, Tommy Mason-Griffin and Steven Pledger, to get the crowd back into it," Capel said. "It was eerily similar to our previous games when things weren't going well. We were down eight and the bottom fell out for us in the others, and even in this one we weren't scoring, but we were getting stops to keep it manageable. We finally started making shots and got on a run and took a lead."

And it seemed like they would have it for good

However, with the Sooners up two and 10 seconds remaining, Mason-Griffin missed a pair of free throws that opened the door for overtime.

Junior guard James Anderson, who left the game earlier when he suffered a head injury, then made a shot in the final seconds to force the extra period.

OSU carried that momentum into overtime, where they scored the first three points.

But perhaps the biggest shot of the game was when OU trailed by two later in the overtime period, and Mason-Griffin busted a huge trey to give the Sooners the lead for good.

"Everybody on the team trusts Tommy," Gallon said. "He's a scoring point guard, but he's a pass-first point guard too. When he made the shot, that just switched over, and the crowd got into it. We got excited, and we kept the lead."

The Sooners finished off overtime with the final eight points on the way to their 10th victory of the season.

In a poor shooting game, it was OU that outshot the Cowboys 37.9 percent to 27.5 percent.

But the Cowboys outrebounded the Sooners 49-45.
OU next takes the court at 12 p.m. Saturday when it hosts Missouri.

Sooners Illustrated Top Stories