It started raining in Oxford Tuesday morning and had not stopped when football practice time rolled around at 4:30 p.m.
Hence, the Rebels took advantage of the IPF field for their workout in full pads.
"Regardless of what has taken place thus far, I still like this team's attitude and the way they are listening and attacking the things we are giving them," said Coach Houston Nutt. "Our deal right now is that all of us have to do a lot of things a lot better. That's the bottom line."
* Senior Middle Linebacker Jonathan Cornell is out for the time being with a hip injury. In his absence, sophomore D.T. Shackelford is the most likely candidate to fill his spot this week, but freshman Mike Marry could also get some snaps in middle and at OLB. With the linebacking corps thinning out one more body, Marry could get all the action he wants and some. Senior Allen Walker and sophomore Joel Kight will still start on the outside. The top reserve past Marry will be Rudy Wilson. "It's thin, real thin," Nutt noted. "We have to count on the ones who are here and healthy."
* It appears as if the Rebels will try to go with the same starting lineup on the offensive line as last week, marking only the second time this year a starting lineup has worked together two weeks in a row. This week, it's likely to be Bradley Sowell and Bobby Massie at the tackle spots, freshman Jared Duke at right guard, junior Tank Washington at left guard and sophomore A.J. Hawkins at center.
* Redshirt freshman OG Mike Brown missed Tuesday's practice with a back issue; DE Gerald Rivers is out with a high ankle sprain; DE Carlos Thompson missed with a stomach virus; TB Rodney Scott and WR Jesse Grandy also have a stomach virus; and Cornell is out, as stated above.
* On the good side of the injury ledger, junior Safety Damien Jackson (knee bruise) returned to practice Tuesday after missing all of last week and Saturday's game against Auburn.
* Without Rivers, who Nutt said is definitely out for this week's game, the Rebs have another position, defensive end, that falls under the category of thin - for now. "Today at practice, we were working with three - Jason Jones, Cameron Whigham, who is just now getting back healthy after a leg injury, and Wayne Dorsey. They have to stay healthy," Nutt stated. "We'll probably be able to use Carlos Thompson some on third downs, but Delvin Jones is behind due to missing some time going home for a funeral."
* Nutt sent his condolences to the Mississippi State football program for the loss of Nick Bell, a Bulldog player who passed away this morning. "That's really sad. Our prayers go out to them," he said. "It's hard to make that call to a Mother and Father like we did last spring to Bennie Abram's parents. That's as tough as it gets. Your players are also affected by it. It's a really, really difficult thing and our thoughts go out to his family and to the Mississippi State family."
Tuesday Practice Report
OM Spirit Top Stories
Ole Miss Commitment Progress ReportThe Rebels will be looking to bring in a few impact defensive ends to help the gap with the departing seniors. A pair of their commits continue to show that they might be the…
OM Spirit12:09 PM
Podcast: Spirit Mailbag; Bradley Sowell JoinsIn this edition of the Ole Miss Spirit Podcast, Ben Garrett and Sudu Upadhyay answer your Ole Miss questions, and former Rebel Bradley Sowell stops by to preview LSU, among other…
OM Spirit9:16 AM
Friday Focus: Ole Miss vs LSUOle Miss travels to Baton Rouge to face SEC West rival LSU on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. CT on ESPN.
OM SpiritYesterday at 11:48 PM
Pickett has major breakout potentialOle Miss landed Jamarko Pickett on Thursday. While being a bit off the radar, Pickett shows tremendous upside and long term potential.
Scout HoopsYesterday at 8:26 AM