* Quarterback Jason Pellerin is every bit of 6-4, 229 pounds, as listed. It would not surprise if he was closer to 235 now. Thick kid and he has a big arm. We've been told he can throw a football nearly 80 yards and the limited reps we saw, it's clear he has plenty of zip on the ball, but needs to work on his accuracy, which will come in time. Remember, Jason threw very little in high school playing in an option offense.
* Another youngster whose sheer size was unexpected is freshman Defensive End Austrian Robinson. He's listed at 6-4, 292. There's no question Austrian is that big, maybe a little bigger. In fact, DL Coach Chris Kiffin stated yesterday that he believes Austrian is 298 pounds.
* Jalen Julius, expected to be a threat in the receiving game and in the return game, has been moved to cornerback for now. In limited drills we saw, his quickness is apparent and obviously suited for the CB position.
* WR Demore'ea Stringfellow took a page out of Laquon Treadwell's summer book. Treadwell lost 15 pounds or so over the offseason and said he feels quicker and faster while maintaining his strength. String has gone from 235 to 220 and also feels stronger and faster.
* Not many freshmen report and have the same mature look as the veterans. It's a big step from high school to the SEC, but a couple of the Rebel newcomers have that veteran, mature look. One is LB Shawn Curtis at 6-3, 247 pounds and chiseled. Another is Safety Zedrick Woods. According to their position coaches, they already have college strength numbers. We'll see how quickly that translates into playing time.
* The tight end position needs help. It appears some help is here. One, Jeremy Liggins has been moved back to tight end. Two, fifth-year senior transfer Dillon Barrett has transferred in from Lamar University and has a mature, SEC look to him physically at 6-4, 235-240. Three, there's a good-looking freshman on board now - one Willie Hibbler, who is 6-3, 240 pounds, already.
* Don't be surprised if WRs Van Jefferson and DaMarkus Lodge make some noise this August camp. They are two more frosh who seem to be comfortable in this high-level environment.
* OL Michael Howard and Alex Givens will most likely redshirt, but so far, so good for the future. Howard has an outstanding frame for growth. Even though he's only 6-5 and roughly 240 pounds right now, he will be 270-280 quickly, it says here. Givens is already 6-6, 295 with a thick lower body. 10 more pounds of upper body weight/strength and he'll be ready to go. Givens is currently working at left tackling Howard at right tackle.
* Safety Armani Linton and CB Cameron Ordway also have "the look." Both are long and lean. A year in the weight room and they will be finished products as well.'
* Senior OG Aaron Morris is almost unrecognizable. He has lost a bunch of weight and is now only 312 pounds. He looks like a different person. In a couple of weeks, he should be fully released to play, but will be limited until them.
* More when we (the media) gets more exposure Monday.
OM Spirit Top Stories
Offensive Line Starting to ClickEven though he's just a sophomore, Ole Miss Right Tackle/Center Sean Rawlings - along with fellow sophs Javon Patterson and Jordan Sims - are some of the leaders in the offensive…
OM SpiritYesterday at 10:00 PM
Friday Focus: Ole Miss vs. Memphis#16 Ole Miss takes on Memphis on Saturday at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. CT on ESPN 2.
OM SpiritYesterday at 4:29 PM
Mississippi Ties for 4-Star DT Noah EllisNoah Ellis out of Highlands Ranch, Colo., is well into his senior season. The 6-foot-4, 325-pound defensive tackle knows that he'll have make a decision where he's going to spend…
OM SpiritYesterday at 11:44 AM
Georgia a Positive Step for Reb DefenseDave Wommack popped on the film of the Georgia game and saw a lot of improvement over the Alabama game the week before, but what he said after the contest with the Bulldogs - "we…
OM SpiritYesterday at 5:00 AM