The Ole Miss football team had a Tuesday practice that was basically set to maintain their timing, exrcution and conditioning today. It was full speed, but about an hour shorter than a normal Tuesday practice. Tuesday is usually the heavy contact day of the week, but Cutcliffe is trying to get the Rebs healthy during this open week and held some players out.
The team was given a pre-practice brief talk on the importance of executing at critical times. "I was very proud of your effort and was very proud of your performance until the very end of the game," Defensive Coordinator Chuck Driesbach told his troops. "The only problem is that when it got down to the nitty-gritty, when it counted the most, we didn't make the plays we had to make to win. We did a nice job of getting our assignments and the effort was excellent, but the execution was not good when we needed it the most. If we fix that, we will be a good defensive unit."
All but two Rebels dressed out for practice today, but several were limited in the amount of drills they went through.
* WR Taye Biddle (migraine headaches) and DE Corey Mills (pulled groin) did not dress out today. Taye is expected to be back at practice tomorrow, but Corey may be out for a long time and will probably apply for a medical redshirt this year.
* PK Jonathan Nichols (bruised toe) dressed out but did not kick. He said his foot is not getting any better. An MRI has been scheduled for tomorrow to see if there is anything more serious going on and as a safeguard.
* OT Tre' Stallings (ankle), OT Bobby Harris (ankle) and C Chris Spencer (back) dressed out but did not do much today.
* CB Bryant Thomas (hamstring) dressed out but did not practice today. He went through pre-practice stretching and said that helped him, but this week will most likely be a treatment week for him so he can try to get back by Monday when game week preparations for Auburn resume.
* The Rebel rookies had a 10-minute opportunity period to run through some plays. The only one who caught our eye was S/WR Danny Bell, who made a couple of nice catches on the offensive side of the ball, and WR Larry Kendrick, who did a good job throughout practice with some pretty catches and runs. Without contact, it was difficult to see much else.
* The Rebels will have about the same practice routine tomorrow and it will be even lighter Thursday before they take Friday-Sunday off.
Tuesday practice report
OM Spirit Top Stories
Thursday Ole Miss Recruiting RoundupUpdates on C.J. Avery, Markell Winters, Walker Little and others in today's Ole Miss recruiting roundup.
OM Spirit12:44 PM
Juco LB Williams Patiently WaitingBrenden Williams out of N' East CC led the state of Mississippi in tackles per game. The 6-foot-3 1/2, 230-pound linebacker is now waiting to make his next step. That process…
OM Spirit9:40 AM
East Region Trend MeterThe latest recruiting trends with key prospects in the East Region's 2017 class.
Scout Football9:00 AM
Werner Out: Who's Ole Miss' Next OC?Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze made another change to his coaching staff Thursday, as it was announced co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Dan Werner won’t be…
OM Spirit8:24 AM