* Craig Rodriguez turned down the Tampa Bay Devil Rays latest offer. Craig was a draft and follow prospect, so Tampa Bay held his drafting rights. That is why Craig was not drafted this year.
Rodriquez has enrolled and already paid for the second summer session at Ole Miss. So as of right now, he has full intentions on attending Ole Miss next year.
* Lance Lynn (RHP/1B) seems to be the biggest concern out of all of the signees.
Lance went in the 6th round (Seatle) but he was their fourth overall pick, so he will most likely get 4th round money.
Lance is still playing in the playoffs (championship series), and as of right now, it is too close to call.
|Scott Van Slyke|
* Scott Van Slyke, who went in the 14th round to the Dodgers, so he is not as a big of a concernconcern. Scott wants Top 5 round money, but with him going in the 14th round, he is unlikely to receive his wishes. We look for Van Slyke to be a Rebel next year.
* Cody Satterwhite's family insisted to the pro scouts that he was not going to sign with them if they drafted him. The Satterwhites made it clear that Cody was going to Ole Miss next year. This is why you saw Cody drop from a Top 3 round pick, to a 32nd round pick. Cody, like Van Slyke, looks to be headed to Oxford next year.
* They feel very good about getting Nick Hetland (RHP) and Garrett White (LHP) on campus next year. Both are draft and follow prospects (like Rodriquez).
*Mathew Rozier (OF/Meridian CC)'s letter of intent has not arrived yet, but it is expected to come in at any day.
*Lewis Coleman (RHP) signed with Meridian CC last Fall, but has now received an offer from LSU. Ole Miss is waiting to see what happens with the draft before they make their offer.
The Rebels need to know how much
scholarship money they have available before making their offer. LSU has given
Lewis a 70% scholarship, which is very high.
*Lewis Coleman is the last remaining prospect on Ole Miss' board for the '04 and '05 class.
*Devin Hicks (3B/Signee) hurt his hand and back during the season, and did not have all that great of a year after hitting 16 HR's as a junior. But, he has since healed and is having a banner summer with the Memphis Tigers (AAU team, not college). Devin has already hit 7 HR's on the early season.
* None of the high school signees will report until August because their AAU programs are not over until late July.*Ole Miss feels like this is the deepest class they have signed during the Bianco era. They think this year's class is their best yet.
*And lastly, our sources tell us that Coach Bianco has given
everyone in the baseball program the belief that he wants to be a Rebel for a
long/long time. In short time, a new contract should be signed.
* We will release the '05 and '06 prospect list in late July.