"We had a good, spirited practice today. The run game period was very good. I think our running game is starting to click a little. The offensive line looked better than it ever has in terms of getting their schemes down and executing their assignments and Mico (McSwain) and the other tailbacks did some good things with the ball in their hands," he noted. "I'm also pleased with the attitude and adjustment Jamal Pittman is making from tailback to fullback. I'm anxious to see the ball in his hands in a game."
Orgeron announced at the end of practice that redshirt freshman Defensive End Reterio Brown has been indefinitely suspended from the team for breaking a team rule. He did not elaborate beyond that statement.
* Senior WLB Kelvin Robinson was in a White jersey today, signifying full contact. He was in a Blue jersey - meaning no contact - yesterday, but is 100% as of today's practice.
* Senior wideout Mario Hill took a few full-speed reps today for the first time in over two weeks. Things are looking up for him to return to the lineup this week if his hamstring continues improving. But in the meantime, according to Coach O, his replacement, Larry Kendrick, has picked up his game in practice. "Larry is doing some excellent things catching the ball now," he noted. "He didn't have the kind of game he was hoping for against UT so he is working extra hard to make up for that. It's paying off. He's been impressive this week in practice."
* Sophomore C Darryl Harris continues to be bothered with back spasms and was not able to finish practice today. Senior Tony Bonds took his place with the first team offensive line.
* Senior LEO Corvelli Haynes sat out most of practice today after injuring himself in the early part of the workout. We do not know the type or scope of his injury. RS frosh Chris Bowers took his place at LEO.
* Senior TB Brandon Jacobs did not get any tailback reps today, but he was dressed out in full pads and did practice some today. Jacobs has been suffering from a gall bladder illness the past month or so. He's still not 100%, but he feels he is getting there and is anxious to get back to full speed on the football field.
* Freshman OT Reid Neely and OL Ryan Jones did not practice today, but they were the only players not dressed out.
* Walkon PK Derrick Christianson quit the team today. He walked on about two weeks ago.
* In run game drills, the breakdown went as follows: (Ones) McSwain 9. . . McSwain -1 (K-Rob, Boykin). . . McSwain 5 (McBride). . . Incomplete pass. . . (Twos) Turner 4 (Taylor). . . Lane 14 QB keeper. . . Turner 3 (Russell). . . Turner 25. . . (Ones) McSwain 2 (Bowers). . . McSwain 6 (Willis). . . McSwain 11 (Charles Clark). . . McSwain 1 (Willis). . . Macswain 1 (Bozeman). . . Pass broken up McBride. . . (Twos) Abrams 3 (Garrett). . . Pass broken up Banks. . . Abrams 4 (Jenkins). . . Abrams 1 (Armour). . . (Ones) McSwain 0 (K-Rob). . . Turner 0 (Willis). . . Spurlock to Espy 5. . . Turner 3 (Pack). . Turner 40. . . (Twos) Abrams 3 (B. Brown). . . Abrams 4 (Jerry). . . Abrams 4 (Garrett).
* In a short field goal period, Robert Bass was 2-3, hitting from 20 and 27 yards, but missing from 43.
* In team drills, the breakdown was as follows: (Ones) Spurlock to Brooks 10. . . Incomplete pass due to pressure from Sanford on a blitz. . . Spurlock to Biddle 11. . Spurlock to Biddle 16. . . (Twos) Incomplete. . . Lane to Pittman 16. . . Lane to Kendrick 12. . . Lane to Kendrick 6. . . (Ones) Spurlock to Brooks 7. . . Spurlock to Brooks 12. . . Spurlock to Wallace 22. . . QB sack Bozeman. . . (Twos) Pass broken up by Terrell Jackson. . . Lane to Pittman 14. . . Lane keeper 4 (Reed). . . QB sack K-Rob.
* In a brief Red Zone drill, the one offense scored twice in two possessions. The first score was on a screen pass from Spurlock to Pittman, who rumbled 22 yards and ran over Charles Clark at the goalline. Taye Biddle threw a tremendous block on OLB Garry Pack to break the play open. . . On the following play, Turner - subbing for McSwain, who has a Wednesday night class - ran for a 10-yard score. . . . (Twos) QB sack Reed. . . Pass broken up by Jackson. . . Abrams 2 run (Russell). . . Lane to Milton Collins 5 (No scores for the two offense in the Red Zone).
* The Rebs will practice in shells tomorrow at 3:45 p.m.
|Photos by Chuck Rounsaville|