"Getting Patrick (Willis) and Jamarca (Sanford) back in the flow of things on defense has helped us a lot on that side of the ball. They are two of our better football players and to be without them hurts us. They love the game of football and it's infectious. Their attitudes rub off on the other players. We are just better with them in there - athletically and mentally.
"(QB) Micheal (Spurlock) also seems to have gotten in a better rhythm and is more used to the cast on his hand. We've had no ballhandling miscues this week. I have also seen the offensive line get in a rhythm and they are starting to build some unity as a group. That has given them confidence. On Tuesday and Wednesday, our running game drills were pretty impressive compared to what we have been doing in that area.
"It's also great to have Mario (Hill) back in the lineup. (Trainer) Tim Mullins and his staff have done an excellent job getting our injured players back on the field as quickly as possible. I'm also getting good feelings about McKinley Boykin's progress - he's healthier and in better condition now and it's showing up in his play. Also, this week we were finally able to try to incorporate more usage in the passing game with the tight ends. We need to in order to stretch the defense some.
"All-in-all, we made strides this week in practice and that's all a coach can hope for."
* Senior LEO Corvelli Haynes and sophomore Center Darryl Harris did not dress out today. Orgeron doesn't expect either to play against Citadel. "They haven't practiced much this week, so I don't know how they can have our gameplan down or expect to play much," he noted. . . KIn their absence, RS frosh Chris Bowers will likely get the start at LEO and senior Tony Bonds is the top candidate to start at center.
* As has been the case the whole season, OT Reid Neely and OL Ryan Jones did not practice.
* The Rebels worked the deep passing game a little more today in team work and had a 2-4 effort. Spurlock hit Mike Espy on a long pass in team drills and Robert Lane found Taye Biddle streaking down the sidelines for a 45-yard game in two-minute drills.
* In punt drills today, the Rebs worked on pooch punting. Freshman Rob Park handled those duties and kicked six times from the 50. Three punts were downed inside the 10 and the other three were downed inside the 15.
* The following is a breakdown of the team drills: (Ones) Spurlock to Antonio Turner 16. . . Turner 4. . . Spurlock to Kendrick 1 (Sanford). . . Spurlock to Hill 7 (K-Rob). . . (Twos) Abrams 16 run. . . QB sack Peria Jerry. . . Batted down pass Peria Jerry. . . Lane to Abrams 12. . . (Ones) Spurlock to Brooks 8. . . Spurlock to Turner 5. . . Interception and return for TD Trumaine McBride. . . Spurlock to Biddle 15. . . (Twos) Incomplete pass. . . Lane to Hill 11. . . Lane to Hill 6. . . Incomplete.
* The Rebs finished off practice with a 90-second scenario with the ball on their own 30 and needing a TD to win. . . The one offense got three first downs and then sputtered, the big defensive play being a QB sack by Michael Bozeman. . . The two offense scored on a Lane to Espy pass from 5 yards out that was set up by a 45-yard pass from Lane to Biddle.
* The Rebels will have a walk-through tomorrow afternoon. There will be no practice report tomorrow.
|Photos by Chuck Rounsaville|