Bama is coming to town, high ranking and all that goes with it.
And the matchup is only five days off. With that in mind, Coach Ed Orgeron stressed getting this week's preparations for the SEC clash started in strong fashion.
"We need to set the tempo for the week," Orgeron said earlier today.
That's exactly what happened with a crisp, full-speed, one-hour workout in shorts and shirts on the practice fields late this afternoon.
The Rebels took their first looks at Alabama's offensive and defensive schemes and then ran their own sets for 20 minutes at the end of practice.
* LEO Corvelli Haynes (shoulder) was not at practice today. No word on his return, but Orgeron said in his Monday press conference he expected Haynes to be "OK" for the game.
* In Haynes' absence, as he did against Citadel, RS frosh Chris Bowers practiced at LEO with the number one defense. . . Viciente DeLoach took LEO snaps with the number two defense.
* LG Andrew Wicker, C Darryl Harris, C/G Tony Bonds and LT Bobby Harris - all nicked up in the Citadel game - practiced today, but it's uncertain if they will work full speed when the Rebs put on pads tomorrow. All are expected to play against Bama, but their availability in practice this week is on a day-to-day basis.
* TB Mico McSwain had a heavily bandaged elbow today and did not take full speed reps. His status is day-to-day, but he's also expected to play versus the Tide.
* Senior TB Brandon Jacobs took full speed reps today with the number two offense. It is the first time in over six weeks Jacobs has practiced at full speed. It will be interesting to see if he participates in full contact drills tomorrow. We'll keep you posted.
* The Rebs ended practice with 60-yard sprints.
* Practice, in full pds, will be at 3:45 p.m. tomorrow.
Pratice Report: Monday
OM Spirit Top Stories
Talk of Champions: Todd AbernethyIn this edition of Talk of Champions, Ben Garrett and Rebel great Kentrell Lockett are joined by former Ole Miss point guard and current basketball assistant Todd Abernethy to…
OM Spirit8:37 AM
Luke: The Table is SetLast season, Offensive Line Coach was "breaking in" players like RT Alex Givens, LT Greg Little, LG Javon Patterson and C Sean Rawlings to starting roles.
OM Spirit7:00 AM
Roach Comfortable With DL PersonnelFor four years as an opposing player, Freddie Roach always knew there was something he liked about Ole Miss, even though he donned the Crimson of Alabama.
OM Spirit7:00 AM
McGriff Keeping It SimpleIt's got to be simple, said Rebel DC Wesley McGriff. Otherwise, you have a team that looks like they are playing in cement and their minds look like they are mired on confusion.
OM SpiritYesterday at 1:09 PM
Longo Has Fast Plans for Reb OffenseYou would think, in today's complex world of high-powered offenses and the defenses designed to stop them, that installation of a new offense or defense would take all of the…
OM SpiritYesterday at 12:35 PM