"This was a good Wednesday practice," said Coach O. "We got in some needed situational work, some needed third-down work and we worked with a play clock today that helped our quarterbacks."
In team drills, the Rebs had a 25-second clock for most of the period, but in Red Zone drills, the clock was set at 10 seconds as soon as the Reb offense broke the huddle.
"We wanted to make it harder on Mike (Spurlock) and the other quarterbacks. Make them more aware and put them in situations where they would have to make a quick decision on calling timeout or running the play with one or two ticks left. I thought they handled it well," said Orgeron. "It's all about awareness. It took time for them to adjust but they did OK."
Orgeron also commented on senior WR Larry Kendrick getting more reps at TB and the improved play, the last week or so, of backup DT Peria Jerry and backup DE/DT Brandon Jenkins.
"Larry has made several good runs in the last couple of days. We think he can be a playmaker for us, so we are trying to get him in more situations to get him the ball," said O. "Brandon and Peria have stepped up their play lately and we need that. We have to get them going. It's getting later in the season and we need some backup DL to step up and give the starters some rest. I know they can do it. It's up to us to get it out of them and up to them to focus and become more consistent."
* DT Jeremy Garrett was still in a Blue jersey today, but he went through more contact drills than he has the past couple of weeks with the number two defense.
* LG Andrew Wicker seems recovered enough from his shoulder injury to play this weekend and had to take all number one snaps today when starter Thomas Eckers was in class.
* MLB Patrick Willis did not dress out today. The coaches are opting to rest him and get him as healthy as possible for Saturday. But Patrick did go through "fit" drills and all non-contact drills with the number one defense, even though he was in shorts and a shirt.
* LEO Corvelli Haynes was still in Blue today, but like Garrett, Haynes went through more contact work today than he has in a couple of weeks, splitting time at the number one LEO with Chris Bowers.
* Of course, FB Jason Cook (broken arm), OT Reid Neely and OL Ryan Jones did not practice.
* Eckers, WR Milton Cllins, TB Antonio Turner, and C Darryl Harris were all in class today, but Turner and Harris got to practice in time for team drills.
* Robert Russell and Dontae Reed split snaps at MLB with the number one defense with Willis out.
* Senior WLB Kelvin Robinson was in a Blue jersey today as well, but he went through all drills as if he were in the regular White defensive jersey.
* Senior TB Brandon Jacobs was not at practice today after practicing Monday and Tuesday.
* Three players were switched from the scout team to the varsity today: WR Matt Pierce, LB Rogers Loche and WR Burnell Wallace. We do not believe that indicates they will play against Kentucky, but they are being prepared to in case of an emergency.
* In running game drills, the following was the breakdown: (Ones) McSwain 10. . . McSwain 1 (Sanford). . . McSwain 9. . . McSwain 4 (Mitchell). . . (Twos) Abrams 4 (Reed). . . Abrams 2 (Tyson Andrus). . . Kendrick 0 (Jerry). . . Flatt keeper for 6. . . Kendrick 5 (Andrus). . . (Ones) McSwain 20. . . McSwain 0 (Russell). . . McSwain -1 (Boykin). . . (Twos) Abrams 12. . . Abrams 0 (Jenkins). . . Abrams 3 (McBride). . . Abrams -2 (Loche). . .(Note: Willis was not in the lineup for the number one defense and the coaches were subbing liberally on both the one and two defensive units.)
* The following are some highlights from pass skelly (no rush): (Ones) Spurlock to Biddle 15. . . Spurlock intercepted by McBride. . . Spurlock to Espy 8. . . Spurlock to Kendrick 4. . . (Twos) Flatt deep pass broken up by Terrell Jackson. . . Flatt to Robert Lane 10. . . Flatt to Espy TD. . . Incomplete. . . (Ones - with a play clock) Spurlock to Lane 6 (Russell). . . Incomplete in end zone. . . Incomplete in end zone. . . (Twos) Flatt to Keith Houston 10 TD. . . Lane to Turner 2 (B. Brown). . . Lane to Hough 5 TD. . . (Ones) Spurlock to Espy 7. . . Incomplete. . . Spurlock to Jimmy Brooks 6 . . . Spurlock shorts passes TDs to Hill, Biddle and Hough. (No delay of game issues.)
* In field goal kicking, Robert Bass was 5-6 with his only miss being from 33 yards out when DE Jayme Mitchell broke through the middle and blocked a low kick. . . Matt Hinkle was 3-3, hitting from 26, 27 and 32 yards out.
* Team drills, with some situational work and a play clock: (Ones) Spurlock to Biddle 12. . . QB sack Garry pack. . . Turner 16 run. . . Screen to Turner 26. . . (Twos) McSwain 2 (Bryant Thomas) . . . Screen to McSwain 14. . . Incomplete (Andrus breakup). . . McSwain 0 (Jerry). . . (Ones) Spurlock to Kendrick 7. . . Spurlock to Lane 12. . . Spurlock keeper 14. . . Taye Biddle -4 (Robinson). . . (Twos) Lane keep 8. . . Incomplete with pressure from Garrett. . . Sack Reed. . . Incomplete with pressure from Jackson. . . (Ones, with 10-second play clock) Spurlock to McSwain on a one-handed catch for 25. . . Spurlock to Kendrick 10. . . QB sack Corvelli Haynes. . . (Twos) Lane to Pierce 3. . . Flatt to Lane 7. . . Flatt to Hough 5 TD. . . (With the 10-second clock, there was one delay of game call. It did not happen again.)
* The Rebs will practice in shells tomorrow at 3:45 p.m.
|Photos by Chuck Rounsaville|