Coach Ed Orgeron put the Rebels through a two-hour full-pad, controlled contact practice today inside the IPF due to rainy, stormy weather in the Oxford area.
After practice, he said the IPF was a blessing.
"We have a tremendous facility that fits all our needs," said Orgeron. "Tuesday is a day you cannot afford to miss or have hampered by storms. We don't have to worry about that with the IPF and indoor practice field. We did not skip a single drill. It was a full practice, other than punting."
Orgeron announced after practice that sophomore TB Alan Abrams decided today that he is transferring from Ole Miss, but that freshman LB LeRon King, who quit the team last week, might be having a change of heart.
"Alan decided he wanted to transfer. It happened right before practice, so I don't know any specific reasons, but he is gone. I am assuming that he doesn't feel there is an opportunity for him to get playing time here," said Coach O, who has seen several players opt to bail out of late. "LeRon King, however, is still pondering his decision to quit the team. He wants to talk it over with his family. That doesn't mean he will come back to the team, but he's considering it."
Orgeron does not appear overly concerned with the numbers of players leaving - or being asked to leave - the squad.
"This type of attrition has happened everywhere I have ever been with first-year programs. It happened at USC with Pete Carroll his first year. I expect a certain amount of attrition and understand it," he said calmly. "One reason we have lost as many as we have from our first signing class is that we really didn't have time to develop relationships in the recruiting process with them and their families. We will have a year this time around and we expect to do a better job of signing players who will stick."
There has been "talk" of freshman FB Kendrick Perry leaving as well, but Orgeron said "Kendrick is still around" when asked if that is true. Perry has been hurt for a couple of weeks and has not practiced.
* TE Keith Houston, MLB Patrick Willis and LEO Chris Bowers were all dressed out today and practicing full speed. Bowers has been out several weeks with a knee problem. He participated in all drills and appeared to be "OK.". . . Willis, who injured his foot last week, but played through the injury against Arkansas, looked like he is close to being 100% if not all the way. He was moving around like, well, the old Patrick Willis.
* Also at practice today working with the number one defense was senior CB Travis Johnson, who missed last week with a hamstring injury. With Travis' return, the Rebels' starting defense most of the year was all on the field and practicing as the top unit today. Good to see.
* In field goal kicking, Matt Hinkle was 6-7, Justin Sparks 1-3, Robert Bass 4-6 and Will Moseley 1-2.
* In team drills, starting QB Ethan Flatt was pretty sharp, completing 6-9 passes for 62 yards. . . Backup Micheal Spurlock was 6-9 for 116 yards, including a 60-yard TD to frosh WR Burnell Wallace, who appears to be getting more and more reps each day in practice.
* Also in team drills, LB Kelvin Robinson and LEO Corvelli Haynes registered QB sacks.
* TB Antonio Turner - who missed last week - returned to practice yesterday, but soreness prevented him from practicing today. Coach O said he should be OK for the LSU game, but he needed a day or two more of rehab and rest. With Turner and Mico McSwain out, and Abrams gone, starting TB Larry Kendrick got a lot of work today at TB, having to rep with the first and second units.
* Robert Lane is having his role expanded every week. This week, he's playing several positions and was a large part of the team drills, catching four passes in limited snaps good for 46 yards.
* The Rebs will practice tomorrow at 3:45 p.m.
Practice Report: Tuesday
OM Spirit Top Stories
Saturday Ole Miss Recruiting RoundupThe Alabama/Mississippi All-Star game is underway. Who is standing out? What is the latest with the 11 official visitors at Ole Miss this weekend? Read inside to find out the…
OM Spirit11:43 AM
Oxford Visitors BureauThe Rebels are looking to add several pieces to the puzzle Wednesday when the national signing period for the December graduates begins. They are bringing in eleven candidates…
OM SpiritYesterday at 2:07 PM
Podcast: Ole Miss Chasing Key ProspectsIn this edition of the Ole Miss Spirit Podcast Sudu Upadhyay and Yancy Porter discuss what prospects are saying about Ole Miss at the MS-AL All-Star Game, look at the impact of…
OM SpiritYesterday at 11:48 AM
First True Road Game Ahead for Kennedy, RebsOle Miss will travel to face Virginia Tech Sunday in the Rebels' first true road test of the season. Head coach Andy Kennedy discussed the trip, among other topics, with local…
OM SpiritYesterday at 10:24 AM
Updated: Who's Ole Miss' Next OC?Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze made another change to his coaching staff Thursday, as it was announced co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Dan Werner won’t be…
OM SpiritThursday at 8:24 AM