The Ole Miss football team put the finishing touches on the week's preparations for the Egg Bowl with a one-hour, fifteen-minute workout in helmets early this morning.
Rebel Coach Ed Orgeron was pleased with this morning's effort and the week's preparations.
"We had early meetings this morning and everyone was focused and on time. I thought the practices this week were crisp and, for the most part, sharp. The guys were focused and didn't have any distractions this week," Orgeron stated. "We had a productive week because all the guys handled their business and were tuned in to the task at hand."
At the end of practice, each senior was carried off the field by an underclassman.
"It's their last day of real practice. All that's left for them as Ole Miss Rebels is Friday's walk-through and their last game in that uniform. They deserve to be carried off," Coach O said. "They have given a lot to this program. We're proud of them."
The Rebel seniors met at Coach O's house last night and ate a Thanksgiving dinner. Players who are too far away from home to travel today are eating their Thanksgiving meal with Orgeron and his family.
"We had some excellent comraderie and food last night. It was a lot of fun," Orgeron noted. "I tell you this - those guys can eat."
Random Practice Notes:
* Senior TB Larry Kendrick and sophomore FB/TB/TE Robert Lane returned to practice today afer sitting out most of the week. Coach O believes they will play full speed Saturday and believes the team will get good production from them despite their lack of practice time this week. "I think they will be ready to roll. They looked good in practice today and were sharp on their assignments," Orgeron noted. "But I will tell you this - I think Micheal (Spurlock) is going to get some TB reps too. He's looked pretty good and has gotten the cast off his hand, which was the drawback to moving him earlier. He's still got a small splint on the finger, but it doesn't hinder his ball-handling or his ball security. He's been pretty impressive there."
* Freshman TB Antonio Turner also returned to practice today after missing most of the week, but he was limited in his reps and doesn't appear to be ready at this point for action in the game. . . RS Frosh TB Mico McSwain and senior WR Mario Hill were nowhere to be seen and are out for the game.
* CB Trumaine McBride wore a Blue jersey today, but he's expected to be fine by Saturday. He took all first-team reps, indicating he will start against the Bulldogs.
* The first-team defense, and all key backups, will be healthy for the game versus MSU, but the offense will be going without - as we said - McSwain and Hill. It appears the Rebels will try to compensate their losses by having a TB by committee approach which will include Jamal Pittman, Spurlock, Kendrick and Lane. At WR, it appears frosh Burnell Wallace, and possibly Carlos Suggs, will attempt to take up the slack. Those are the players who have been repping the most in those positions. We'll see.
* In team drills, the offense - led by Ethan Flatt - seemed to be having a better day of execution than they had earlier in the week. Flatt threw the ball with more authority on short and mid-range routes and completed a bomb to Taye Biddle that went some 65 yards in the air. Good day for the offense.
* The Rebs will come back to campus tomorrow at 3 p.m. for meetings and will hold their walk-through at 5 before heading to Tupelo to spend the night.
The staff at The Ole Miss Spirit wishes you a safe and happy Thanksgiving. See you in Starkville as the Rebs bring home the Egg for the fourth time in a row!
Practice Report: Thursday
OM Spirit Top Stories
AP: LSU 38, Ole Miss 21BATON ROUGE, La. -- Leonard Fournette broke LSU's single-game rushing record on just his first eight carries -- scoring three touchdowns of 59 yards or more -- and the 25th-ranked…
OM SpiritYesterday at 10:57 PM
Instant Reaction: Ole Miss - LSUBATON ROUGE, La. - Ole Miss Spirit staffers give their instant reactions from the Rebels' 38-21 loss at LSU Saturday night.
OM SpiritYesterday at 10:48 PM
From the Locker Room: LSUBATON ROUGE, La. - Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly and defensive end Marquis Haynes met the media following the Rebels' 38-21 loss at LSU Saturday night.
OM SpiritYesterday at 10:44 PM
A Hard LookBATON ROUGE, La. - Hugh Freeze praised LSU for their play Saturday night in Death Valley as they emerged with a 38-21 win over his Ole Miss, but once he got over the formality of…
OM SpiritYesterday at 10:33 PM
Freeze: "We Gotta Look at Ourselves Hard"Baton Rouge, La. - Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze said the Rebels fell short in all facets of the game in the second half against LSU. Ole Miss failed to score in the second half…
OM SpiritYesterday at 10:08 PM