Note: Spring football is closed to the media this year except for a few select days. Today was the second day of the spring session. The media is allowed access to Coach Ed Orgeron after practice. The following are some notes.
* The weather in Oxford was nice and spring-like for day two of practice. Near perfect conditions.
* "The offense made tremendous improvement today," Orgeron said. "There were less mental errors and we were more in sync with what we're doing. We ran the ball well. I was pleased."
* Orgeron said several players stood out on offense: "Corey Actis at center. We moved him to first-team center to let him play a little bit today. He played really well. Marshay Green had some big plays. BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Mico McSwain. We put Billy Tapp at first-string quarterback today and let him run it a little bit to see how he did, and he did OK."
* On defense, Orgeron said the Rebels keep getting better: "We continue to make improvement with our linebackers. Robert Russell, Quentin Taylor, and Antonio Turner. Those are young guys we need to get ready to play. I thought Peria Jerry had an excellent day today at defensive line. Hayward Howard had a good practice and is really starting to show up a little bit."
* The Rebels also worked on special teams: "We worked on our kickoff return unit which has to make a bunch of improvement. We did today, paying attention to details and getting some playmakers back there."
* Overall, Orgeron liked the spirit of the day: "I thought it was a competitive, spirited practice. We had a good day."
* A question was asked of Orgeron about offensive linemen Thomas Eckers and Marcus Cohen: "Thomas Eckers has had two good days of spring ball, and Marcus Cohen is showing some good stuff. Art Kehoe (Associate Head Coach; Offensive Line Coach) has been really pleased with those guys. They are making strides."
* Another question for Orgeron concerned Bruce Hall at quarterback: "It's a new offense for him, and the speed of the game is a little bit faster than it was in junior college. So it's taking him a little time. He ran the ball well a couple of times today and made some scrambles."
* As far as the wide receivers go, Orgeron said: "Marshay Green, Mike Wallace, Carlos Suggs, those guys are making good catches. We're getting the tight ends involved more in the offense. Suggs has made some good catches there. Robert Lane made a good catch. Robert Hough - those guys are all experienced and we need to get the ball in their hands."
* On Michael Oher at left tackle: "Michael's doing OK. He's coming along and making strides."
* On replacing starting left cornerback Travis Johnson: "Trumaine McBride, Dustin Mouzon and Nate Banks, who is really doing well."
* On tight end Jason Hawkins: "He's doing OK. He was sick for a while. He really hasn't adjusted yet, but he will be OK."
* Orgeron on what has stood out the most the first two days of spring: "I really like the direction of our offense. There's a complete difference out there. It's more demanding. It's more vocal. More two-back. More play-action pass. More of a power game. Double teams. Just an aggressiveness with the offense and the speed and the quickness with which they practice."
* The Rebels worked in shorts and helmets and will be in shells for Wednesday's practice and also on Friday. Saturday's practice is open to the media and the public.
Spring football notes
OM Spirit Top Stories
Spring Football: Photo Gallery IXOle Miss resumed spring football practices with a full-pad session on the practice fields Tuesday afternoon. Photos courtesy of Petre Thomas.
OM Spirit7:00 AM
Spring Football: Offensive Line HighlightsThe Ole Miss offensive line could be the strength of the Rebel football team in 2017-18. Practice highlights included.
OM Spirit7:00 AM
Ole Miss Drops Pitching Duel in ExtrasMEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Ole Miss fell to 14-7 on the year with a 2-1 loss at Memphis Tuesday night. Analysis, quotes, recap and box score.
OM SpiritYesterday at 10:38 PM
Notes: Pellerin a Natural at TE?Overall, the Rebels looked like they had a spring break "hangover" for much of Tuesday's practice, but toward the end, they got it together and finished strong. Here are some…
OM SpiritYesterday at 5:14 PM