"We had a really good work day today. We got better. The guys came out and worked hard and had a good attitude," said Ole Miss Coach Houston Nutt after Wednesday's practice. "They have put the Auburn game behind them. It's time."
Nutt said the point of emphasis for the team has been eliminating mistakes.
"No mistakes. The thing that eats your guts out when you watch the film of the last game is that we had good time of possession, some good drives, plenty of plays, good field position and not enough points. It's a fumble, an illegal procedure, a missed block, a bad throw," he explained. "All of a sudden you are third-and-long. We're not a good third-and-long team and not a lot of teams in this league are.
"We also made plenty of mistakes on defense, which was uncharacteristic of that group. Tyrone (Nix) is working limiting mistakes as well."
* Redshirt freshman Tight End Ferbia Allen missed practice with a swollen jaw as the result of a wasp sting. He is expected back in the loop tomorrow. "I've had a player get a wasp sting before, but it's rare in November," quipped Nutt. "He'll be fine. His jaw was really swollen."
* Surprise, surprise. Freshman Outside Linebacker Alex Williams, who has missed most of the season recovering from a broken foot he hurt in August, dressed out and worked out on a limited basis. Alex thought he would not practice any more until spring training, but obviously his foot has passed all the tests for him to resume working out full speed. Alex has not wasted the time during his rehab period. He has put on about 18 pounds and is now at 222 pounds on his 6-4 frame.
* Freshman MLB D.T. Shackelford is not 100% from a high ankle sprain he has tweaked several times in the last few weeks, but today he looked much better and did not have nearly as much tape on the ankle as he has been having. Good sign. He's needed down the stretch run.
* SS Johnny Brown missed yesterday's practice with a groin pull, but he was back in the fold on a limited basis Wednesday.
* WR/KOR Jesse Grandy (thigh bruise) was also limited but was dressed out after sitting out Tuesday.
* The Rebels had a visitor to Wednesday's practice. Former Arkansas WR Marcus Monk, who played for Nutt and several members of the current Ole Miss staff when they were at Arkansas, stopped by to watch practice and spent a lot of time observing the Rebel WRs, naturally.
* Offensive Guard A.J. Hawkins dislocated his toe Tuesday and sat out today, but he hopes to be back tomorrow. It is anticipated, if things go well, the backups could get a lot of playing time Saturday. Hopefully, A.J., who needs the reps, will be a part of that equation. "He needs the game reps badly. I hope he's OK," said Nutt.
Wednesday Practice Report
OM Spirit Top Stories
Scott Sets Announcement DateBlaine Scott out of Sciotoville, Ohio., took in an unofficial visit to Ole Miss over the weekend with his mother. He plans to return to the Oxford campus in April before deciding…
OM Spirit10:48 AM
Talk of Champions: Ben StillIn this edition of Talk of Champions, Ben Garrett and Rebel great Kentrell Lockett are joined by former Ole Miss offensive lineman Ben Still to discuss Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss and…
OM Spirit9:06 AM
Van's A Vet NowLast year, Van Jefferson was a redshirt freshman feeling his way through the SEC for the first time. Now, he's got a full year under his belt and his expectations for him and his…
OM Spirit7:22 AM
Speaks Regaining FormThe 2016 season was supposed to be a breakout year for Ole Miss DT Breeland Speaks, the heir apparent to Robert Nkemdiche, but it didn't work out that way. Redemption, however, can…
OM Spirit3:15 AM
Defense RisingThe Rebel coaches "put the ball down" toward the end of practice today in some Red Zone and goalline periods. During the scripted portions, the defense gained a decided edge. When…
OM SpiritYesterday at 4:54 PM