Teaching Continues in the IPF

The all too familiar sound of rain on the metallic roof of the Indoor Practice center greeted the players, coaches, and fans for the second day of practice. But, the rain would not last long as the sun peaked from behind the clouds sending a yellow streak through the facility.

As the Beavers hustled around the enclosure, large mounds of dirt signifying the expansion of Gill sat on the Tommy Prothro practice fields. After the construction of the Gill Annex, the grass football fields will run east and west.

Inside the IPF, practice went smoothly as the players worked on learning the new playbook as well as gleaning information from their new coaches.

Defensive line coach, Greg Newhouse, who can always be heard before seen, was adamantly working with the defensive line on their footwork, while Mike Riley kept an alert eye on the quarterbacks.

A similar, if not the same, format was used throughout the 140 minute practice session. The air horn once again cut through the air alerting the coaches and players it was time to change drills.

Zero fights broke out during the second practice session, but the intensity remained high as the coaches harped on the fundamentals of football.

Kanan Sanchez (in white) battles with Henry Anderson (in black) Friday afternoon.

Good footwork, using their hips, and exploding at the point of impact were just some of the points that all of the coaches focused on Friday.

The quarterbacks looked more comfortable than the first day of practice as the Beaver offense tested the Beaver defense deep on several occasions.

On the last play of Friday's practice Derek Anderson dropped back and heaved a 40-yard bomb to James Newson who was streaking down the sideline. But the ball skipped off Newson's hands to the delight of the "D" and to the dismay of the large crowed on hand.

The Beavers continue spring practice on Saturday at 1:00 PM.

News and notes can be found on the premium message board.

BeaverBlitz Top Stories