Halftime: Beavs battle back, tie it 17-17

OREGON STATE CAME to play. But they couldn't cash in early - a fourth and one from the Ducks' 27-yard line resulted in a long ball interception in the end zone. Meanwhile, the Beaver D couldn't get off the field on third down and UO took a 14-0 lead. But OSU battled back and on a must-have drive, OSU ran it three straight times and into the end zone to close to within 14-7. And...

And they were just getting started.

Oregon, up by a touchdown, drove downfield and was beginning to rip off ever increasing chunks of yardage on the Beavs as the half went along. But linebacker D.J. Alexander manhandled De'Anthony Thompson on third and goal and Oregon had to settle for a field goal and a 17-7 lead. That seemed to turn the tide.

The Beavs answered, and they did it with balance.

Running back Terron Ward had the biggest OSU gainer of the night on the second scoring drive, with a 31-yard gallop up the seam down to the Beaver 6-yard line. OSU had to settle for a field goal after a penalty and Storm Woods was ruled out of bounds inside the 2-yard line before crossing the pylon on a screen play. The boot tightened the score to 17-10.

At one point late in the second quarter, the Beavs had run 17 times and passed 17 times. OSU before the half was over was credited unofficially for more than 100 rushing yards.

And the tide began to turn on defense too for the Beavs.

Corner Steven Nelson went up the ladder for an interception and the Beavs were back in business inside the Ducks' 40-yard line. Sean Mannion then hit Brandin Cooks on a 30-yard strike Mannion dropped over the coverage and OSU seemingly had the ball on the 2-yard line. But Cooks lost the ball on the way down and it was a killer, resulting in a touchback for Oregon after the replay booth weighed in.

But Rashaad Reynolds picked off Marcus Mariota for the second time, giving the Beavs another scoring shot with 1:15 left in the half. A nifty tunnel screen saw Cooks take it down inside the 10-yard line. Mannion hit Ward on third-and-six just before halftime and the Beavs had tied it at 17-17 going into the locker room.

On OSU's first score, Ryan Murphy on special teams made an outstanding play when Duck return man Bralon Addison bobbled it, with Murphy crashing into him and recovering the ball all on his own.

The drive stalled and Trevor Romaine badly missed a field goal attempt but a 5-yard penalty gave Oregon State a fourth-and-two and they cashed in with a short completion to Brandin Cooks. Storm Woods than ran three straight times for a total of 10 yards and into the end zone.

BeaverBlitz Top Stories