HALFTIME: The rout is on in Civil War

THE 118th CIVIL WAR quickly turned into a nightmare for Oregon State. The Ducks scored on their first possession, fueled by multiple missed tackles by the Beavers. And it only got worse.

The Beavs trailed 30-3 at the break. Sean Mannion was 11-23 for 79 yards through two quarters while Storm Woods had 12 carries for 83 hashes, with most of that coming on two runs. Oregon scored on their first five possessions, only settling for a field goal once. Oregon State was 1-3 on fourth down, 3-9 on third down in the first half.

Down 6-0, Oregon State wasted a 40-yard kickoff return by Malcolm Marable on their first possession. At the Oregon 30-yard line and facing third down, the Beavs were held to no gain on two straight runs by Storm Woods and Damien Haskins.

Down 16-0 just seconds into the second quarter, Oregon State needed to answer but went three and out.

But then – a gift. More accurately, a gift squandered.

A muffed punt was there for the taking deep in Duck territory but Tyler Anderson couldn’t corral it and the ball tumbled harmlessly out of bounds. Three plays later, Marcus Mariota connected on a 77-yard scoring strike and the rout was on.

Down 23-0 with 12:12 still left in the second quarter, Oregon State had 66 yards of offense on 17 plays. Oregon had 287 hashes on 28 snaps.

With Oregon running 22 plays in the first quarter alone, it felt like insult to injury with the refs on more than one early occasion giving Oregon a full yard extra on the spot. But with the way the Beavs weren’t wrapping up, Oregon almost certainly could have picked up those hashes with ease -- on the Ducks’ third drive of the game, they went 70 yards and never faced a third down.

With no pressure at all on Mariota and with Duck receivers operating in tons of open space on their first five possessions, OSU’s bowl hopes went on life support early in this one.

The Beavs finally converted a third down with 8:47 left in the half. Maybe a chance to grab a little momentum?

On the next snap, the Beavs were flagged for a false start.

Later, after OSU's second fourth-and-one went for no gain, the Beaver D finally gave the fans something to cheer about, sacking Mariota twice and forced Oregon to punt.

From their own four-yard line, Woods broke a big gainer and a late hit penalty pushed the ball to midfield. The drive bogged down and with one second left, Garrett Owens hit a 39-yard field goal to put the Beavers on the board.

BeaverBlitz Top Stories