Several Beaver players established themselves as all time greats, while other players started to emerge as future stars. Numerous records were set in 1998: Inoke Breckterfield become the Oregon State sack leader, Ken Simonton broke several OSU freshman rushing records, and Jonathan Smith started his domination of the Huskies.
The Beavers started off the season hot by disposing of two non conference foes but ran into troubled waters against ranked Pac-10 competition. Despite the Pac-10 road block the Beavers gained confidence as they competed with the competition.
The confidence resulted in two back to back road wins before the Beavers traveled home to Corvallis. Once again, Pac-10 play proved formidable as the Beavers lost three straight games by a total of 9 points.
But the three losses were soon forgotten as the Beavers reigned supreme in one of the most exciting Oregon State football games of all time.
Beaver Nation was excited. Oregon State paraphernalia started to make a comeback. The domination of the yellow and green was coming to a close while orange and black became fashionable to wear.
Take a trip with BeaverFootball.com as we recap the 1998 season game by game. Read what Riley had to say, laugh at Big Daddy Orange's commentary, glance at the accompanying photos, and relive the excitement of the 1998 season.
We begin our journey with Big Daddy Orange and his 10 reasons why the Beavers will make Mike Riley's second year as head coach successful.
10 reasons why the Beavers will make Mike Riley's second year as head coach successful
- Inoke Breckterfield, Jim Greule, Brain Rogers, Andrae Holland, Armon Hatcher,
and the other senior defensive starters lead the defense to the top of the
- Jose Cortez hits 85% of his field goals (including the 40 yarders).
- Tim Alexander will run back at least 3 kickoffs for touchdowns. (lookout
- Terrence Bryant and his receivers make the OSU passing game something to
- The team watches a video of Johno eating a pound of raw liver in remembrance
of his days as a Beaver. This happens just before the homecoming game. The
team becomes incredibly fired up when they see this.
- Deshawn Williams gets hit so hard on a kickoff return that he gets knocked
out of his jock. It doesn't matter they still cannot hurt him!
- The OSU cheerleaders actually STOP and do a cheer in front of the fans who
sit in the bleachers over the Valley Center.
- Beaver fans outnumber Duck fans at the Civil War and for the first time
in quite a few years you see more orange than green and gold in the stands.
- Inspired by the Johno video Brian Rogers eats a pound of raw duck before
the Civil War game. The team becomes extra-incredibly fired up when they see
- Beavers wallop the Ducks at the Civil War. Delirious fans carry the goalposts through Corvallis for hours.
Wednesday: Opening day 1998 versus the Nevada Wolfpack.