- This team is young: There is a total of four upperclassmen on the team, one senior and three juniors on the roster. Of those four, only Cheikh N’diaye has played any minutes for the Beavers last year. The remaining three of Daine Muller, Keondre Dew and Ronnie Stacy will all be making their first appearance for the Beavers this year.
- This team has young leaders: A pair of sophomores were named team captains this year. Tres Tinkle and Drew Eubanks were voted team captains by their teammates. But when you think about it, Tinkle and Eubanks are some of the most experienced members of the team.
- This team is in need of ball-handlers: OSU is missing their three main ball-handlers from last year. Gary Payton II ran out of eligibility, while Malcolm Duvivier and Derrick Bruce left the program. Head coach Wayne Tinkle said that freshman Jaquori McLaughlin could handle the point guard duties as well as pass-first JC transfer Ronnie Stacy. Last season Stephen Thompson Jr. was also played some point guard last year and could continue that this year.
- Tinkle working getting his feet under him: Tres Tinkle missed the final game of the regular season, all of the Pac-12 tourney as well as the NCAA tournament with a foot injury. That foot injury kept him from running and playing basketball during the off season. While he worked to improve his shooting form, the area that he is behind in is his conditioning.
- This team wasn’t physical down low a year ago: Coach Tinkle explained that last year’s NCAA tournament team was not a physical on the blocks as he would of liked to be, large in part because Daniel Gomis was not healthy enough to play. With Eubanks and Gligorije Rakocevic back in the fold, along with newcomers Keondre Dew and Ben Kone’ on the team, Tinkle expects the team to be stronger on the block.
- This team has new top dunker: GP2 left a vertical void now that he is playing in the Association. The team and the school needs to replace its top dunker. But fear not, Drew Eubanks is certain that he is not only the team’s best dunker, but also the school’s top dunker.
- Eubanks changed his diet: Drew Eubanks has added 10 pounds to his frame from last season, beefing up to 250 from his 240 a year ago. Yet, coach Tinkle said that he is more athletic than he was a year ago. A big reason for the change in his body--his diet. He’s eating out less and eating more lean meats like chicken and fish. Eubanks is also eating 16 over-medium eggs per day now. That’s right, 16 a day.
- Tinkle and Thompson are the top Fifa players: When the team isn’t practicing many of them hit the sticks and compete over video games--mainly Fifa and NBA 2K. According to McLaughlin, Tres Tinkle and Stephen Thompson Jr. are the top Fifa player.
Quick Hits: 10 take aways from hoops media day
BeaverBlitz Top Stories
Signee Capsule: Justin GardnerBeaverBlitz continues to go in-depth with the signees. Today we breakdown cornerback Justin Gardner.
NFL Combine PreviewThe end of February is one of the best times of the year. The calendar changing means that spring is drawing near and the NFL Scouting Combine is starting.
Spring 17: Day 6 RecapSaturday marked the sixth day of practice for the Beavers. Who stood out?
BeaverBlitzSaturday at 6:34 PM
Video: Manase HungaluSenior linebacker Manase Hungalu talks about helping the young guys learn the Beavers defense.
BeaverBlitzSaturday at 1:58 PM