- For the first time since 1999, the OSU football staff handed out
team awards on Tuesday. The winners follow:
-- Co-Most Valuable Players: Dwan Edwards, Steven Jackson and Richard Seigler.
-- Attitude and Scholarship Award: tight end Tim Euhus.
-- Most Improved Player: wide receiver Mike Hass.
-- Dee Andros "Heart" Award: defensive end Bill Swancutt.
-- Special Teams Player of the Year: place-kicker Kirk Yliniemi.
-- Rookie of the Year: cornerback Brandon Browner.
- The Oregon State football team was honored for their appearance in the
2003 Las Vegas Bowl during halftime of the Arizona State/Oregon State men's
- Former Washington quarterback Taylor Barton is recovering from surgery
after doctors reconnected his digestive system. If all goes well, Barton
will be the offensive graduate assistant at OSU and could join the team for
spring practice. He is expected to recover in six to eight weeks...more
- Wide receiver James Newson is going to launch his own clothing line in a
couple of weeks...more
- Former Oregon State offensive tackle Mitch White signed a
with Green Bay Wednesday.
- Reports out of New England have head coach Bill Belichick giving Steven
Jackson a hard look. If Jackson lasts till New England's pick, he could
end up with the Super Bowl Champions...more
- Pete Prisco of CBS.Sportsline.com picked Jackson as the 15th best player
in the draft and had this to say about him -- 15. Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon
State: He's a physical back at 225 pounds, but he can also rip off the long
runs. Isn't as fast as Jones, but he has the speed to get to the corner and
make plays outside.
- Mike Waufle, who was the defensive line coach at Oregon State from 1990-91
and has been the Raiders defensive line coach the past six seasons, joined the
New York Giants coaching staff recently.
- Go Beavs!
HEADLINES YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED
117 Players You Should Know in 2004: Oregon State DE Bill Swancutt
So what does a college football star playing in the Pacific Northwest have to do to get some love? Forgetting the geographic location making Oregon State a bit off the beaten path when it comes to where the national media focuses its attention, it's a bit hard for a Beaver defensive player to stand out even when the team is being watched. OSU is known for its high-octane offense with RB Steven Jackson and, for good and bad, QB Derek Anderson getting all the pub last year. That should change this season for Oregon State senior DE Bill Swancutt...more
Inside the mind of James Newson
James Newson, 23, is a former Oregon State wide receiver currently preparing for the NFL draft in April. Newson set a number of school records and hopes to follow in the professional footsteps of fellow Beavers Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Nick Barnett...more