- The first practice of the spring was out side on the two fields next to
the Truax Indoor Practice Facility.
- New players numbers:
-- WR Kevin Swanigan #1
-- OL Chris Miller #77
-- RB Charles Burnley #37
-- LB Zach Hagemeister #87, with Hagemeister taking 87, I believe Arcadius St. Laurent is gone, I don't recall seeing him.
-- TE Carl Appleton #81
-- LB Keith Ellison #4 (seen to the right)
- It appeared that Alexis Serna was working with the first team field goal
and PAT team.
- A comical note from early on in practice: while the receivers were warming
up, WR George Gillett appeared to trip on one of the lines on the field, in
other words, on the grass.
- My first day award for most impressive player goes to WR Brandon Powers,
#82, obviously it is very early, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up
as a starter in game one vs. LSU.
- RB Yvenson Bernard was a close second, he looked extremely quick and very
<< Junior college transfer Chris Miller works on blocking drills with a fellow offensive lineman.
- WR Mike Hass looked just as good if not better than last year, but I was
expecting a good day from him, so I wasn't surprised.
- The offense ran quite a few screen plays to the running back, Bernard looked
awesome--very quick, good cuts, reminds me a lot of Ken Simonton, but quicker
and faster--I also heard other fans saying the same type of things about him,
so I know I'm not the only one.
- With the absence of Kanan Sanchez the first string offensive line was (from
left to right) #61, Adam Koets, #74, Jason Fyda, #73 Matt Brock, #67 Roy Schuening,
#65 Doug Nienhuis.
- The receivers were rotating quite a bit, two combos i noticed working with
the first team were -- Hass, Powers and Gillett, and Hass, Powers, and Swanigan.
- I did think Swanigan had a nice day, especially for his first day of practice, he made a few nice grabs.
This next set of notes is from "skeli"--or 7 on 7:
WR Josh Hawkins dropped a pass on the sideline that was right in the numbers, but a couple plays later he came right back and made a nice catch in traffic.
From left to right wide receivers Kevin Swanigan, Josh Hawkins, Mike Hass and George Gillett.
- SS Sabby Piscitelli made a nice pick on a deep pass intended for Hass from
Derek Anderson, shortly after that Anderson completed a deep pass to Hass,
who made a diving catch on the play, one of the plays of the day.
- Gunderson to Hawkins on an out route, to the far side of the field from
where I was, which was to Gunderson's left.
- Gunderson complete at least two passes to Brandon Powers, one was a sliding catch on an out route, the other was across the middle.
New set of notes:
- For those of you that are Keller Christensen fans, it appeared that he got
a haircut, no long flowing hair for him unless it was tucked into his helmet,
I never saw him with it off.
- CB Aric Williams and Mike Hass took turns catching punts from #36 Jon Strowbridge.
Andy Darkins takes a water break with Reser Stadium in the background. >>
- When the team went to 11 vs. 11 the starter on defense were, 96-Brandon Scales, 92 Alvin Smith, 95 Sir Henry Anderson, and obviously 90 Bill Swancutt on the d-line, lbs were, 21 Chaz Scott, 44 Trent Bray, 40 Jonathan Pollard, secondary, same corners, 8 Aric Williams, 39 Brandon Browner, Safeties (w/ Mitch out due to off-season surgery) Sabby and Harvey were with the first team
- Anderson completed passes to Powers, Dwight Wright (one a screen, the other
a short dump off), Bernard, and one to Joe Newton as he (Anderson) was rolling
- Gunderson had a nice rollout (to the right) pass complete to Powers, soon after that, what looked to possibly be the same play, Gunderson attempted a pass for Powers that was almost picked off by Eric Anderson, it happened pretty quick but it looked more like good defense rather than poor offense.
I saw a few former Beavers at practice:
- Jared Cornell an offensive lineman who played for the Beavers the year they
won the Fiesta Bowl.
- Also in attendance were Anton Clarkson, who really looks a lot thicker
than he was, and former punter Carl Tobey.
- On a side note, a friend of mine said he saw WR James Newson on campus earlier this week and that James his taking classes this spring.
Have a question, comment, or suggestion for Jake? Want him to watch a certain player and report on him? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.