Head coach: Bill Doba (Third year at WSU)
(Career: 18-9 | At WSU: 18-9 | Vs. Mike Riley: 1-1 )
Current ranking: NR, but receiving votes
Current record: 3-0
Picked to finish: Sixth by the media
Streak: Three game winning streak
Last time Washington State and Oregon State met...
Sept. 25, 2005 in Corvallis - Oregon State 38, Washington State 19
Derek Anderson threw for 270 yards and three touchdowns to lead Oregon State to a 38-19 victory dealing Washington State its third straight loss...more from BF.com
Last time Washington State played...
Sept. 17, 2005 - Washington State 48, Grambling State 7
The Cougars completed a perfect non-conference schedule with a 48-7 win against Grambling State Sept. 17 at Qwest Field in Seattle. Jerome Harrison rushed for 113 yards and scored three touchdowns, while Jason Hill caught a pair of scores. It marked the third straight game Hill registered two touchdown catches.
WSU built a 24-0 halftime lead, the second straight week the Cougar defense posted a first-half shutout, and finished the game allowing just seven points, the lowest opponent scoring output since a 30-7 WSU victory over Arizona, Oct. 4, 2003.
Series history (WSU leads 46-40-3, OSU leads 20-19 in Corvallis)...
The programs have split the last eight meetings. Oregon State went winless in the series for 14 games before a 21-3 victory at then Parker Stadium in 1994. Oregon State has won two straight and three of the last four played in Corvallis.
In the last three meetings between the Beavers and Cougars the teams have scored 194 points, racked up 2,040 yards, committed 26 turnovers and 579 yards in penalties. The last time the Cougars defeated OSU in Corvallis was in 1996 with a 24-3 victory.
Washington State will play at OSU for the third consecutive year in 2006
Washington State connections...
Oregon State defensive line coach Greg Newhouse and WSU offensive coordinator Mike Levenseller were on the same staff with the B.C. Lions of the CFL in 1986 and ‘87. Beaver special teams coach Bruce Read and WSU assistant head coach Robin Pflugrad were long time assistants at Montana.
Beaver football operations director Ron Davis is a 1986 graduate of WSU and later served as a graduate assistant football coach and in athletic administration for the Cougars.
Through the air...
Oregon State is averaging 446.2 yards of total offense per game which ranks 23rd in the nation. Receiver Mike Hass ranks number one in the nation in yards and number two in receptions. Of the 102 first downs this year, 72 of them have been through the air. Hass has accounted for 27 (37%) of the team's first downs. Running back Yvenson Bernard has accounted for 17 of the team's first downs. Combine Hass' and Bernard's statistics and they are accountable 33-percent of the time when OSU moves the chains.
Through four games OSU has ran 192 passing plays and 138 rushing attempts, a difference of 54 which is the widest margin between pass and rush attempts. Despite the margin the Beavers led the conference in time of possession at 33:02 per game.
Up and down...
In the last two games OSU has given up 28 points in one quarter. Louisville put up 28 in the second while Arizona State put up 28 in the third. In those two quarters the Cardinals and Sun Devil combined for 412 yards.
On the flip side, OSU has outscored its opponents 45-7 in the fourth quarter and given up just a combined 164 yards, albeit the past two games were well in hand by the time the final period rolled around.
Mike Hass is just a few games away from breaking all of OSU's receiving records.
- Career receiving yards - 3,062, needs 511 (avg. 73.0 in seven games) to break record
- Career pass receptions - 170, needs 544 (avg. 6.3) to break record
- Career touchdowns receiving - 17, needs 4 to break record
Additional notes on Hass:
- Over the last seven games he has averaged 8.8 receptions and 144.8 yards
- Has eight straight 100-plus yards receiving games.
- Has 14 100-plus yards receiving games in his OSU career.
- Enters this week's game second in the nation for receptions per game (10) and first for receiving yards per game (167.5).
- Has scored at least one touchdown in five of the last seven games.
- Owns the NCAA's highest average per catch for a career for active players at 18.0 -- the next closest averages 16.7.
- His 3,062 career receiving yards is second among active players in the NCAA -- trailing only fellow Pac-10 receiver Derek Hagan (3,160) of Arizona State. Hass has 37 fewer receptions than Hagan.
- Has caught at least one pass in 23 consecutive games.
- Washington State is looking to start its season 4-0 for the first time
- Oregon State is 32-7 (.821) at Reser Stadium since the start of the 1999
season. The Beavers also own the best home record within conference action
starting with the 1999 season at 18-7.
- Washington State is the third consecutive team that the Beavers have
faced that rank in the top 12 nationally in total offense. (4. ASU (594.3),
9. WSU (495.0), and 2. Louisville (478.0))
- Oregon State ranks 112th in the nation in turnover margin.
- This is the fourth straight year that WSU opens its Pac-10 schedule on
the road. The Cougars won at California (2002), at Oregon (2003) and
at Arizona (2004).
- The Cougars have won 12 of its last 17 conference road games.
- The Crimson defense has recorded 13 sacks in the last two games and have
tallied a conference high 16 for the season.
- WSU RB Jerome Harrison has rushed for over 100 yards in six
straight games, averaging 152.2 yards during that stretch. Harrison is averaging 133 yards per game, tops in the
Pac-10 and eighth nationally.
- WSU QB Alex Brink has not thrown an interception in 67 attempts.
Brink has tossed nine touchdowns and just two picks for 690 yards in three
- WSU WR Jason Hill has tallied over 100 receiving yards in six
- WSU PR Michael Bumpus is dangerous on punt returns as he racked
up 157 punt return yards at Nevada, good for second on WSU's single-game
list. His 87-yard punt return for a TD at Nevada, ranks No.1 all-time.
- OSU LB Trent Bray has reached double figure for tackles in nine
of the last 14 games and is second in the Pac-10 for tackles per game at
10.2. LB Keith Ellison is second in the conference at 9.2
- OSU P Sam Paulescu's 44.6 average, up 2.0 yards from a year ago,
ranks third in the Pac-10 and 13th in the nation.