Tennessee Tech 90, Oregon State 62
Poor shooting by Oregon State and hot shooting by Tennessee Tech doomed the Beavers in their 2005 opener as the Golden Eagles defeated OSU 90-62. Tennessee Tech hit a school record 9 of 10 from three point range while shooting 60.7 percent from the floor.
|Top performers for Oregon State.||Top performers for Tennessee Tech.|
Scoring - Sasa Cuic, 11 points
Rebounding - Sasa Cuic and M Jones, 5 rebounds
Assists - Sasa Cuic and Lamar Hurd, 3 assists
Scoring - Belton Rivers, 22 points
Rebounding - Three with four rebounds
Assists - Anthony Fisher, 6 assists
- Freshman point guard Josh Tarver is out six weeks with a broken right foot.
Beaver record watch.
Coach Jay John
Needs eight wins for 50 as head coach at Oregon State ... Needs 10 wins for 400 in his 23-year coaching career (both head and assistant jobs).
Guard Chris Stephens
Needs 136 points to become OSUs 32nd player with 1,000 points ... Needs 37 three-pointers to break OSUs career record (Stephens is sixth with 142, Deaundra Tanner had 179).
Guard Lamar Hurd
Needs 29 assists to break into OSUs career top 10 ... Needs 10 starts to move into OSUs career top five ... Needs to play in 27 games to move into OSUs career top 10.
Forward Nick DeWitz
Needs seven blocked shots to break into OSUs career top 10.
OSU needs eight home wins for 500 all-time at Gill Coliseum.
News and notes.
- Nine OSU players played at least 10 minutes.
- Guard Jason Fontenet shot just 1 of 9 from the field, including 0-5 from three point range.
- Guard Chris Stephens attempted just six shots
- Guard Lamar Hurd played 35 minutes, 12 minutes more than the next highest OSU player.
- The Golden Eagles won the Ohio Valley Conference championship last year.
- In 104 seasons of basketball, OSU is 80-25 (.769) in season openers.
- The Beavers have only opened with an away game once in the last 18 seasons (1994-95 at Bradley).