Oregon State 88, Prairie View A&M 71
Another opponent teed off from three point land but it wasn't enough to knock off Oregon State in their 2005 home opener as five Beavers scored in double digits.
Sasa Cuic once again led the orange and black attack with 19 points but Nick DeWitz turned in the best all around performance scoring 15 points while grabbing nine rebounds and dishing out six assists. Chris Stephens added 15 points, including 4 of 6 from behind the arc. Full recap | Box score
Obviously were not yet a refined product, but our tail kicking on Sunday has at least awakened up our guys. They all became better listeners on Monday night practice. And so our emphasis tonight was certainly, when we were out there, play to exhaustion. It was sloppy. I like the fact to sit here and see 20 assists for 30 baskets, I like that. For the 23 turnovers, if youre going to shoot 56 percent from the floor, what might have it been without the turnovers?
"But that aside, its a starting point for us in terms of playing to exhaustion, not saving anything and being ready to play. And the turnovers are things weve got to get solved, and certainly our inside defense and rebounding, although if you look at these numbers in rebounding, they were fine, but Im still not completely pleased with the post presence defensively, but thats something were going to have to keep working at....more from OSUBeavers.com
The Beavers hit the road again to take on the Fresno State Bulldogs who have their first game of the season Wednesday at Cal Poly.
Previous Beaver game.
Lost to Tennessee Tech on the road 90-62.
|Top performers for Oregon State.||Top performers for Prairie View A&M.|
Scoring - Sasa Cuic, 19 points
Rebounding - Nick DeWitz, 9 rebounds
Assists - Nick DeWitz, 6 assists
Scoring - P Scott, 20 points
Rebounding - Three with four rebounds
Assists - Two with two assists
- Forward Kyle Jeffers missed Tuesday's contest with a sprained right knee and is doubtful for Fresno State on Saturday.
- Freshman point guard Josh Tarver is out six weeks with a broken right foot.
Beaver record watch.
Coach Jay John
Needs seven wins for 50 as head coach at Oregon State ... Needs nine wins for 400 in his 23-year coaching career (both head and assistant jobs).
Guard Chris Stephens
Needs 121 points to become OSUs 32nd player with 1,000 points ... Needs 33 three-pointers to break OSUs career record (Deaundra Tanner had 179).
Guard Lamar Hurd
Needs 25 assists to break into OSUs career top 10 ... Needs nine starts to move into OSUs career top five ... Needs to play in 26 games to move into OSUs career top 10.
Forward Nick DeWitz
Needs four blocked shots to break into OSUs career top 10.
OSU needs seven home wins for 500 all-time at Gill Coliseum.
News and notes.
- Sophomore forward Marcel Jones scored a career high 18 points on 8 of 12 from the field.
- Senior point guard Lamar Hurd turned in a career high 14 points on 5 of 6 from the field.
- DeWitz's six assists was a career high.
- Center Liam Hughes grabbed a career high seven rebounds in eight minutes.
- OSU improved to 45-12 in home openers since 1949-50, the first year in Gill Coliseum.
- The Beavers shot 50% (10 of 20) from the free throw line in the first half but shot 87.5% (14 of 16) in the second half.
- True freshman Calvin Hampton, who was planning on redshirting, played two minutes due to Jeffers' injury.
- Sophomore guard Wesley Washington, who missed several games due to academics, played for the first time this season. He played seven minutes going 0 for 2.