Freson State 80, Oregon State 73.
Nineteen turnovers led to 32 Fresno State points as Oregon State yielded an 11-point half time lead losing to Fresno State on the road, 80-73.
Four Beavers scored in double figures with Chris Stephens leading the way with 18. Marcel Jones turned in another fine performance scoring 14 points on 4 of 7 from the field and a perfect 6 of 6 from the charity stripe. Full recap | Box score
John and Stephens say.
John - "At this particular point, we are not tough enough to withstand when things don't go our way. It's been an issue for this team, and it continues to be."
Stephens - "In the first half we came out with a confidence that we were going to win the game. In the second half, we let them get their confidence back through turnovers, and they played the tempo they wanted to play. Coach told us in the locker room we've got one week to get better."
Oregon State returns home to face the UNLV Running Rebels Saturday, Dec. 3.
Previous Beaver game.
Defeated Prarire View A&M at home.
|Top performers for Oregon State.||Top performers for Prairie View A&M.|
Scoring - Chris Stephens, 18 points
Rebounding - Nick DeWitz, 8 rebounds
Assists - Lamar Hurd and Chris Stephens, 2 assists
Scoring - Ja'Vance Coleman, 24 points
Rebounding - Two with eight rebounds
Assists - Kevin Bell, 7 assists
- Forward Kyle Jeffers who sprained his knee two games ago played 12 minutes at Freson State.
- Freshman point guard Josh Tarver is out six weeks with a broken right foot.
Beaver record watch.
Coach Jay John
Needs seven wins for 50 as head coach at Oregon State ... Needs nine wins for 400 in his 23-year coaching career (both head and assistant jobs).
Guard Chris Stephens
Needs 103 points to become OSUs 32nd player with 1,000 points ... Needs 31 three-pointers to break OSUs career record (Deaundra Tanner had 179).
Guard Lamar Hurd
Needs 23 assists to break into OSUs career top 10 ... Needs eight starts to move into OSUs career top five ... Needs to play in 25 games to move into OSUs career top 10.
Forward Nick DeWitz
Needs two blocked shots to break into OSUs career top 10.
OSU needs seven home wins for 500 all-time at Gill Coliseum.
News and notes.
- The Bulldogs shot 25.7 percent from the field in the first half while hitting
just 1 of 10 from three point range. In the second half FSU hit 6 of
8 from three point range. The Beavers shot 50 percent from the field
in the first half which helped them overcome their 10 turnovers and give them
a double digit lead.
- The Beavers hit just 3 of 14 from behind the arc.
- OSU had just seven assists compared to Fresno State's 19.
- PG Lamar Hurd scored 14 points on 5 of 7 from the field.
- Oregon State will play its next four games in Oregon. The Beavers face UNLV on Dec. 3 at Gill Coliseum before going to Portland on Dec. 10. Northern Colorado is at Gill on Dec. 14 before the Beavers host Georgia on Dec. 17 in the Rose Garden.