Portland 76, Oregon State 62.
Oregon State (2-3) continued their struggles on the road dropping a 76-62 decision to Portland (4-5). The Pilots used a 19-5 scoring run during the last 6:30 to put the game away. Darren Cooper led the Pilots with 25 points.
OSU head coach Jay John - "It's a mystery to me. I don't know if it was the last eight minutes or whatever it was, we just collapsed. You think things are in good shape, and at the end of the game . . . we didn't get the execution that we needed, then defensively we let some things get away from us, and all of a sudden we're taking one in the backside."
The Beavers return to the friendly confines of Gill to face Northern Colorado on Wednesday, Dec. 14. Tipoff is at 7 p.m.
Previous Beaver game.
Defeated UNLV 69-63 at home.
|Top performers for Oregon State.||Top performers for Portland.|
Scoring - Jason Fontenet, 12 points
Rebounding - Marcel Jones, 9 rebounds
Assists - Jason Fontenet, 2 assists
Scoring - Darren Cooper, 25 points
Rebounding - Donald Wilson, 7 rebounds
Assists - Donald Wilson, 6 assists
- Sophomore Marcel Jones aggravated a jammed finger.
- Junior forward Kyle Jeffers is playing through a sprained knee.
- Junior forward Michael Johnson is out 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his right foot.
- Freshman point guard Josh Tarver is out six weeks with a broken right foot.
Beaver record watch.
Coach Jay John
Needs six wins for 50 as head coach at Oregon State ... Needs nine wins for 400 in his 23-year coaching career (both head and assistant jobs).
Guard Chris Stephens
Needs 87 points to become OSUs 32nd player with 1,000 points ... Needs 29 three-pointers to break OSUs career record (Deaundra Tanner had 179).
Guard Lamar Hurd
Needs 22 assists to break into OSUs career top 10 ... Needs six starts to move into OSUs career top five ... Needs to play in 23 games to move into OSUs career top 10.
OSU needs six home wins for 500 all-time at Gill Coliseum.
News and notes.
- Portland hit 9 of 18 three point shots.
- Marcel Jones fouled out finishing with four points on 2 of 8 shooting while
grabbing a team high 9 rebounds.
- Angelo Tsagarakis continues to work his way back onto the court. He played a season high 14 minutes scoring seven points on 2 of 3 shooting.