Oregon State 73, Western Michigan 68.
Once again Chris Stephens had the shooter's touch as he connected on 8 of 11 shots en route to a game high 23 points in Oregon State's 73-68 victory over Western Michigan. The Beavers victory placed them fifth in the Rainbow Classic.
Nick Dewtiz added 14 points while Sasa Cuic helped with 11. Marcel Jones turned in another solid night on the glass grabbing eight bords. Western Michigan was led by Andrew Hershberger who turned a double-double with 19 points and 15 rebounds. Gazette Times | Box Score
Coach Jay John - "It got to the point where, every time he (Stephens) shot, you thought it was going in. And that's pretty darn good."
Guard Chris Stephens - "We grew as a team and learned to trust each other. It was a good tournament. We got better everyday and two out of three ain't that bad."
Texas Pan America at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 28 before opening Pac-10 play with three straight road games.
Previous Beaver game.
Defeated South Florida 61-56.
|Top performers for Oregon State.||Top performers for Western Michigan.|
Scoring - Chris Stephens, 23 points
Rebounding - Marcel Jones, 8 rebounds
Assists - Jason Fontenet, 6 assists
Scoring - Andrew Hershberger, 19 points
Rebounding - Andrew Hershberger, 15 rebounds
Assists - Brian Snider, 9 assists
- Junior forward Kyle Jeffers is playing through a sprained knee.
- Junior forward Michael Johnson is out 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his
- Freshman point guard Josh Tarver is out six weeks with a broken right foot.
Beaver record watch.
Coach Jay John
Needs two wins for 50 as head coach at Oregon State ... Needs five wins for 400 in his 23-year coaching career (both head and assistant jobs).
Guard Chris Stephens
Needs one point to become OSUs 32nd player with 1,000 points ... Needs 22 three-pointers to break OSUs career record (Deaundra Tanner had 179).
Guard Lamar Hurd
Needs 13 assists to break into OSUs career top 10 ... Needs to play in 19 games to move into OSUs career top 10.
OSU needs six home wins for 500 all-time at Gill Coliseum.
News and notes.
- For the tournament, Stephens shot 21 of 32 from the field, including 6 of 10 on 3-pointers and was 13 of 13 at the line. He led the Beavers in scoring four straight games.
- This is the Beavers third road win of the season and the second time they
have won back to back games this year.
- The Beavers shot 50% from the field while Western Michigan connected on
39% of their field goals.
- OSU hit 5 of 9 from three point range while the Broncos made just 4 of
17 from beyond the arc.
- Oregon State led 37-36 at the half.
- The Beavers held the Broncos to without a field goal for almost five minutes in the second half as they went on a 16-4 run to put them up 61-49.