Stanford 80, Oregon State 66.
Oregon State lost their 14th consecutive Pac-10 road game as Chris Hernandez scored 10 of his game high 20 points in the last five minutes to lift the Cardinal to victory.
The Beavers were paced once again by Chris Stephens as he hit 7 of 16 from the field for 16 points. After coming off the bench for six straight games Lamar Hurd started accounting for a season high seven assists. Jason Fontenet had his best game of the year connecting on 4 of 7, including 3 of 4 from downtown, for 14 points. Gazette Times | Recap | Box Score
Lamar Hurd - "We weren't getting any stops. Chris Hernandez hit some big shots. And to win on the road in this conference you have to answer, and we didn't do that."
The Beavers head to Berkeley for their third consecutive conference road game as they square off against California (9-3, 3-0) on Sat., Jan. 7 at 5 p.m. The Bears have yet to lose in Pac-10 play.
Previous Beaver game.
Lost to Oregon 70-64 in Eugene.
|Top performers for Oregon State.||Top performers for Stanford.|
Scoring - Chris Stephens, 16 points
Rebounding - Marcel Jones, 6 rebounds
Assists - Lamar Hurd, 7 assists
Steals - Lamr Hurd, 2 steals
Blocks - Nick DeWitz, 3 blocks
Scoring - Chris Hernandez, 20 points
Rebounding - Two with four rebounds
Assists - Mitch Johnson, 3 assists
Steals - Mitch Johnson, 5 steals
Blocks - Peter Prowit, 2 blocks
- Junior forward Michael Johnson is out 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his
right foot. As of late December, he has started to practice with the
- Freshman point guard Josh Tarver is out six weeks with a broken right foot. As of late December, he has started to practice with the team.
Beaver record watch.
Coach Jay John
Needs one win for 50 as head coach at Oregon State ... Needs six wins for 400 in his 23-year coaching career (both head and assistant jobs).
Guard Chris Stephens
Needs 21 three-pointers to break OSUs career record (Deaundra Tanner had 179).
Guard Lamar Hurd
Needs 4 assists to break into OSUs career top 10 ... Needs to play in 16 games to move into OSUs career top 10.
OSU needs five home wins for 500 all-time at Gill Coliseum.
News and notes.
- Oregon State committed 21 turnovers, Marcel Jones had 8, compared to
- The Beavers shot 50% from the field compared to the Cardinal's 40%.
- Stanford grabbed 14 offensive rebounds.
- Chris Stephens has made 25 consecutive free throws.
- Before making two of his first three shots Lamar Hurd had not made a
field goal against Stanford since his freshman season. He missed 16 in
a row during that time span.
- OSU used an 18-6 run before halftime to take a 31-30 lead into the
- The Beavers have lost 13 straight in Maples Pavilion.