Oregon State 72, California 64.
For the first time in 15 tries the Oregon State men's basketball team picked up a win on road as they defeated conference leading California 72-64. The victory also snapped a seven game losing streak to the Golden Bears.
Nick DeWitz led a balanced attack with 18 points on 7 of 12 shooting, including a season best 3 of 3 from three point range. Marcel Jones added a double double with 13 points and 11 rebounds while Sasa Cuic chipped in 16 points from off the bench.
Coach Jay John - "For the guys it's a great win. They put a lot of work into it. They are the ones who have to feel it. I knew we were getting closer. I've been pleased with what the guys brought to the table with the first three games on the road in terms of a focus. We are growing."
Lamar Hurd - "It's a different feeling in the locker room. We haven't felt this since my sophomore year at Washington State, the last time we won. But the spirit of the team has been up. We felt it coming, so it's not surprising to us."
Nick DeWitz - "It feels great to finally get that road monkey off our back.
The media has been all over us that we can't get a road win, and it finally
After going 1-3 on their first conference road trip of the season the Beavers head home to face the Arizona schools. The No. 21 Wildcats visit on Thursday with tipoff at 7:00 p.m.
Previous Beaver game.
Lost to Stanford in Maples Pavilion, 80-66.
|Top performers for Oregon State.||Top performers for California.|
Scoring - Nick DeWitz, 18 points
Rebounding - Marcel Jones, 11 rebounds
Assists - Jason Fontenet, 4 assists
Steals - Two with one a piece
Blocks - Two with one a piece
Scoring - Leon Powe, 19 points
Rebounding - DeVon Hardin, 9 rebounds
Assists - Richard Midgley, 4 assists
Steals - Richard Midgley, 2 steals
Blocks - DeVon Hardin, 3 blocks
- Junior forward Michael Johnson is out 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his
right foot. As of late December, he has started to practice with the
- Freshman point guard Josh Tarver is out six weeks with a broken right foot. As of late December, he has started to practice with the team.
Beaver record watch.
Coach Jay John
Needs five wins for 400 in his 23-year coaching career (both head and assistant jobs).
Guard Chris Stephens
Needs 20 three-pointers to break OSUs career record (Deaundra Tanner had 179).
Guard Lamar Hurd
Needs to play in 15 games to move into OSUs career top 10.
OSU needs five home wins for 500 all-time at Gill Coliseum.
News and notes.
- Oregon State shot 54% from the field and 64% (7 of 11) from three point
range compared to Cal's 36% from the filed and 27% (6 of 22) from three
- Cal grabbed 14 offensive rebounds compared to OSU's five.
- Like most games this season the Beavers led at halftime, 34-32.
- John played just eight players, with six of the eight receiving at least
- Oregon State's last conference road win came against Washington State on
Feb. 12, 2004.
- The Bears opened the game missing 15 of their first 20 shot attempts
then followed that with a 2-for-12 stretch to open the second half.
- The Beavers scored the first eight points of the game and sank its first
three 3-point shots.
- Oregon State had been 1-19 in its previous 20 conference road games.