Washington 69, Oregon State 65
A plethora of turnovers and poor rebounding on the defensive glass doomed Oregon State as the No. 10 Washington Huskies defeated the Beavers 69-65 in Seattle. Clutch free throw shooting by Bobby Jones and Brandon Roy sealed the victory.
Marcel Jones led OSU with 14 points and 10 rebounds. With Lamar Hurd out with a groin injury, Wesley Washington received 20 minutes of playing time scoring nine points and three steals but committing five turnovers. Three other Beavers scored in double figures. Bobby Jones led UW with 16 points and eight rebounds. Gazette Times | Recap | Box Score
Coach Jay John - "Obviously, we missed our point guard. With Lamar not being in there, it changed how UW was going to defend us. They came out and strangled and chased and trapped. With 28 turnovers it was success. They took a game plan and attacked us at a point where we are weak."
The Beavers stay in the Apple state as they travel north to Pullman to take on the 9-6, 2-4 Cougars.
Previous Beaver game.
Lost at home 65-63 to Arizona State.
|Top performers for Oregon State.||Top performers for Washington.|
Scoring - Marcel Jones, 14 points
Rebounding - Marcel Jones, 10 rebounds
Assists - Jason Fontenet, 3 assists
Steals - Nick DeWitz, 4 steals
Blocks - Kyle Jeffers, 5 blocks
Scoring - Bobby Jones, 16 points
Rebounding - Bobby Jones, 8 rebounds
Assists - Justin Dentman, 8 assists
Steals - Justin Dentman, 4 steals
Blocks - Brandon Roy,. 1 block
- Point guard Lamar Hurd is out at least three weeks with a groin injury.
- Junior forward Michael Johnson is out 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his
right foot. As of late December, he started practicing with the
- Freshman point guard Josh Tarver is out six weeks with a broken right foot. As of late December, he started practicing with the team.
Beaver record watch.
Coach Jay John
Needs three wins for 400 in his 23-year coaching career (both head and assistant jobs).
Guard Chris Stephens
Needs 18 three-pointers to break OSUs career record (Deaundra Tanner had 179).
Guard Lamar Hurd
Needs to play in 13 games to move into OSUs career top 10.
OSU needs four home wins for 500 all-time at Gill Coliseum.
News and notes.
- Oregon State shot 46% from the field and 20% (2 of 10) from three point
range compared to Washington's season low 33% from the field and 24% (5 of
21) from three
point range. Washington attempted 28 more shots than Oregon State.
- Washington led 28-27 at halftime.
- The Beavers shot 83% (23 of 28) from the free throw line while the
Huskies made just 16 of 28 (57%).
- UW grabbed 41 rebounds, 21 on the offensive side, while OSU reeled in 31
- OSU committed 28 turnovers compared to UW's 15.