USC 72, Oregon State 70
Oregon State tied the score at 70 with 14.9 seconds left on a pair of Chris Stephens' free throws, but USC's Nick Young hit a fall away jumper in the key with .8 left to lift USC to a 72-70 victory in overtime. Young led all scores with 25 points.
Chris Stephens and Nick DeWitz added 16 points a piece for OSU who drops to 10-9 overall and 3-5 in conference play. Jason Fontenet and Sasa Cuic added 11 and 13 off of the bench. Gazette Times | Recap | Box Score
Nick DeWitz - "Our focus really isn't there when we play teams that are not UCLA and Arizona caliber. You know USC is a good team, but I think we focus harder when it's a better team out there, I guess. With four seniors we shouldn't do that. We shouldn't play to the level we think they are. Every team is good in this conference, and I think it's a lack of focus."
The Beavers stay home as No. 17 UCLA (16-4, 6-2) rolls into town after defeating Oregon 56-49 (10-9, 4-3) Thursday night.
Previous Beaver game..
Defeated Washington State 69-65 in Pullman.
|Top performers for Oregon State.||Top performers for USC.|
Scoring - Two with 16 a piece
Rebounding - Marcel Jones, 8 rebounds
Assistss - Wesley Washington, 3 assists
Reboundingg - Two with 8 rebounds each
Steals - R Francis 3 steals
Blocks - Abdoulaye Ndiaye,. 3 blocks
- Point guard Lamar Hurd is out at least two weeks with a groin injury.
- Junior forward Michael Johnson is out 2-4 weeks with a broken bone in his
right foot. He started practicing with the team in late December.
- Freshman point guard Josh Tarver is out six weeks with a broken right foot. As of late December, he started practicing with the team.
Beaver record watch.
Coach Jay John
Needs two wins for 400 in his 23-year coaching career (both head and assistant jobs).
Guard Chris Stephens
Needs 11 three-pointers to break OSUs career record (Deaundra Tanner had 179).
Guard Lamar Hurd
Needs to play in 13 games to move into OSUs career top 10.
OSU needs four home wins for 500 all-time at Gill Coliseum.
News and notes.
- Oregon State shot 42% from the field and 32% (6 of 19) from three point
range compared to USC's 46% from the field and 47% (9 of 19)
from three point range.
- USC led 38-29 at halftime.
- Angelo Tsagarakis played just four minutes but attempted three shots,
missing all of them.
- The Trojans entered the game losing their last three of four. The
win gave them 13 on the season surpassing their win total from a year ago.