- Oregon State won the toss and deferred to the second half.
- The announced attendance was 85, 713, the second largest Pac-10 crowd to
witness a Beaver game.
- Weather: 70 degrees, Wind: 1 mph W, sunny
- USC continues to lead the series 58-9-4
including 39-3-3 in Los Angeles;
- It was USC's 21st consecutive victory over the Beavers at home going back
to 1960, in 10 of those wins the Trojans have held OSU to single digits in
- The Trojans have won 31 of the last 33 meetings.
- The offense generated 176 total yards of offense, a season low, including
91 rushing yards and 85 passing yards, a season low, while averaging 2.5 yards
per rush and 7.7 yards per completion.
- The offense picked up 12 first downs, eight rushing, two passing and two
by penalty, while converting 3 of 17 on third downs, 1 of 3 on fourth downs
and 1 of 2 in the redzone.
- The offense line yielded a season high nine sacks as left tackle Ryan Pohl
couldn't handle the speed of freshman defensive end Everson Griffen who had
3.5 sacks. The offensive line had yielded 17 sacks in the previous seven games.
- QB Sean Canfield was harassed all night as he was sacked nine times. Many
of the sacks were the offensive line's fault, but he got no help from the
running backs and when he did have time he held onto the ball too long.
He completed 11 of 25 for a season low 85 yards. Canfield threw his first interception (he was being hit) in two games as he broke his string of 68 attempts without an interception.
Canfield was knocked out of the game late in the fourth quarter as he injured his shoulder. He had an MRI Monday.
- WR James Rodgers was the team's leading rusher with three carries for 48
yards. Most of his yards came on the first play of the game as he took an
end around 39 yards, it was the longest run recorded against the Trojan defense
- RB Matt Sieverson received his first career start carrying the ball 10 times
for 39 yards with a long of 11. Sieverson left the game in fourth quarter
with a shoulder stinger and is not expected to miss any time.
- RB Clinton Polk carried the ball 12 times for 46 yards. He also had two
catches for six yards.
- RB Yvenson Bernard dressed, but didn't play.
- LG Jeremy Perry dressed, but didn't play.
- WR Anthony Brown led the team with three catches for season low 22 yards.
- WR Brandon Powers had his worse game of the year catching two passes for
13 yards but dropping at least three others.
- WR Darrell Catchings caught just one pass for 19 yards, the longest reception
of the night for OSU. Catchings, along with Brown, are the only receivers
on the roster to have caught at least one pass in each game this year.
- WR Shane Morales was helped off of the field after injuring his knee in the second half. He is not expected to miss any time.
- The defense gave up 287 total yards, 100 on the ground and 187 through the
air, while giving up 2.8 yards per rush and 9.4 yards per completion.
- The defense limited USC to 5 of 16 on third downs while yielding points
2 of 3 times in the redzone.
- LB Derrick Doggett co-led the team with eight tackles, all solo and including
one for loss. This is the first time this year he has led or co-led the team
in tackles. Doggett is the team's second leading tackler with 54 stops on
- CB Brandon Hughes had a season high eight tackles.
- DE Dorian Smith added his sixth sack this year. He finished with four tackles,
including two for loss. Smith left the game in the second half with a left
knee injury; he had an MRI Monday.
- DE Victor Butler grabbed his team high seventh sack of the year while forcing
and recovering his first fumble of the year.
- DT Gerard Lee had a season high four tackles, including a season best four
for loss. He has three tackles for loss in the last two games. Lee left the
game in the second half with a hamstring pull.
- LB Joey LaRocque grabbed five tackles, including one for loss, while adding
a pass breakup. He continues to lead the team in stops with 58.
- DE Jeff Van Orsow grabbed his sixth tackle for loss. He has seven on the
year, with six of them coming in conference play.
- CB Keenan Lewis started the game after missing the last two with an injury.
He finished with one tackle.
- CB Tim Clark hurt his back in the second half, but is not expected to miss any time.
Special Teams Notes:
- PK Alexis Serna missed his first field goal in seven tries as he missed
a 48-yard attempt in the first quarter wide right. He did connect on 22-yard
field goal in the second quarter though for the Beavers only points of the
He is now in eighth place in the Pac-10 career scoring list with 345 points and needs just 21 points to overtake Ken Simonton as the school leader.
- P Alexis Serna averaged 39.3 yards per punt, with a long of 48, on nine
attempts while putting three inside the 20 with one touchback.
- KR Gerard Lawson returned five kickoffs for 91 yards, with longs of 33 and 30.
USC's nine sacks doubled their season Pac-10 total.
- The Trojan defense had eight pass breakups, 13 tackles for loss and nine
- Oregon State fumbled three times, but recovered all of them.
- OSU moved into USC territory with its first four possessions of the second
half, but came away with zero points.
- Troy's win broke a three game Oregon State winning streak.
- USC head coach Pete Carroll has never lost in November while at USC with
a perfect 21-0 record.
- The Trojans scored all three of their touchdowns in a 7 and a half minute
span in the second quarter.
- The Beaver offense generated just three first downs and 50 total yards in
the first half.|
- In the first 20 minutes of the second half USC had just one first down.
- It was OSU's lowest point total in a Pac-10 game since a 22-0 loss to USC in 2002.
- USC head coach Pete Carroll - "Oregon State has a
great defense – the top one we've seen this year."
- Head coach Mike Riley - "We didn't get any rhythm
going. We had way too many three-and-outs in the first half to put our defense
in really bad field position. That really told the tale. In the second half
we moved the ball a little better but we couldn't score. It was not pretty.
It was hard to do anything against that defense."
On the offensive line "We've taken some hits and are playing some younger people on the offensive line. They're battling like crazy, but it makes it harder to have continuity. The offensive line got baptized in a lot of ways tonight. Hopefully the guys will learn from it. Once we get past it, it will be good for them to play against those kind of players."
On the running game - “We obviously missed Yve, he’s our runner — our best back. The guys made some runs tonight, not many early. That’s a different part of the game later when they can run. As we go into next week, it’s good Yve did not play. He was not 100 percent to play. He wasn’t close enough to play. We will look at it throughout the week and say it’s the right thing to do, and he’ll be a lot better off for it.”
- LB Joey LaRocque - "It’s tough. It was a must-win
for us. We felt we could execute and come away with a victory. USC is a great
team and they did what they needed to do, and it’s a heartbreaker. We
worked hard for them this week, but sometimes that’s the way it goes.”
- OG Roy Schuening - "They didn't blitz a whole lot. They didn't do anything crazy. They were the bigger men today. That's tough to admit, but my hat's off to their front four. They played outstanding today. We didn’t even show up. We gave up nine sacks, that’s just embarrassing. The first thing I said after the game was sorry to Sean. I take full responsibility for this loss, being the leader of this offensive line.”