- Steve Preece opened the Beaver luncheon early today with the news that Erickson
had taken the job at San Francisco.
- Tim Lappano was the first guest speaker of the evening. He started his one
hour discussion with the news about Erickson and what the staff is doing to
keep the recruits. Lappano said that the football staff is going to get on
the phones and call all of Oregon State's recruits on Wednesday to reassure
them that everything is going to be okay.
- He said that 7 to 8 coaches will stay so there will not be a "mass
exodus." "We lost a great coach, but it is not the end of the world."
- Lappano also said that it will be hard for most recruits to leave after
signing their LOI. "The players don't sign with the coaching staff, they
sign with the university." Lappano said.
- Other comments included that the staff is very excited about getting all
of the top in state recruits. "We have to take care of our own, then
go into California."
- The Beavers like to recruit speed and like to sign as many tight ends,
defensive ends, and running backs out of high school because the athletes
play those positions.
- He said the Beavers fulfilled all of their recruiting needs.
- Coach said do not worry about the signing of two quarterbacks. The staff
felt they needed to have depth at the QB position in case Anderson gets hurt.
- Lappano is going to apply for the head coaching job. The crowd on hand responded
with thunderous applause.
- When asked about what redshirts the staff is excited about, Lappano said
they are real excited about Brandon Scales, Brandon Browner, and Harvey Whiten.
The coach said Scales goes at 120% and had to repeatedly tell him not to hit
the quarterback. Browner wants to play both sides of the ball for the Beavers,
wide receiver and defensive back. Lappano said Whiten is the fastest player
on the team. Lappano is also "fired up" about Brandon Lockheart
who lost 50 pounds.
- Lappano confirmed that James Newson and the wide receiving corp, along with
Derek Anderson are throwing three days a week.
- Lappano was asked about Finley, but he could not comment, but feels very
good about him. This means Finley has not qualified yet.
- The staff is very excited about the offensive line. They are big, young,
and mean. He said there will be intense competition for the offensive line
starting jobs this year.
- Ryan Cole is up to 230 pounds and will play when Jackson needs a rest.
- He is high on Joe Newton and says he will be good enough to play on Sundays.
- Lappano called the Beavers "the worst screen team in America."
The Beavers are going to work on a no huddle offense in the off season.
- Lappano believes that the best players should play on special teams. Referenced
the Super Bowl as an example.
- The team is going to work on "better blocking, more accurate throws,
and accountable catching."
- The second guest speaker was assistant athletic director, Kevin Anderson.
Anderson supported Lappano for his courage, gave a quick update on the expansion,
and said he believes the football team will go to the Rose Bowl this year.
- The coach then went through the recruit list much like Erickson did on Wednesday
of last week. His comments were very similar. The notes follow:
-- Kevin Davidson: will play outside linebacker...in the mold of Nick Barnett...is fast and quick enough to cover receives.
-- Yvenson Barnard: shifty, physical back
-- Charles Burnley: in the Steven Jackson mold...was the best back in Los Angeles
-- Lorenzo Bursey: will play the slot position
-- Curtis Coker: very powerful...in the Eric Manning mold
-- Andy Darkins: will play the middle linebacker position
-- Naymon Frank: just turned 17...in the Dwan Edwards mold...a year ago weighed 170 pounds....currently is 240
-- Ryan Gunderson: better than 95% of the recruits he looked at...glad he took the visit to Tennessee so the Beavers knew he wanted to play for Oregon State
-- Zach Hagemeister: very athletic and can play anywhere
-- Brandon Powers: will start out at WR but want to play him at DB..."a little bit nasty"
-- Roy Schuening: during the first 30 minutes of the Beavers summer camp they pulled him aside and offered him a scholarship...is mean and has good feet
-- Danny Southwick: called OSU...will be at the university in April...will provide needed depth at the QB position
-- Jeff Van Orsow: in the DeLawrence Grant/LaDairis Jackson mold
-- Anthony Wheat: the highest recruited player on the roster...will play the free safety postion...may play early
-- Justin Williams: in the Dennis Weathersby mold
Beaver Huddle Notes
BeaverBlitz Top Stories
Pre-visit: Bowcut locked inOfficial visitors will begin arriving on campus this afternoon. BeaverBlitz checks in with local commit Josh Bowcut to get his thoughts before the visit this weekend.
BeaverBlitzYesterday at 9:23 AM
Pre-visit: Pututau talks OSU visitOregon State will be hosting Utah athlete Taniela Pututau this weekend on an official visit. We caught up with him to get his thoughts on the Beavers.
BeaverBlitzThursday at 8:44 AM
Pre-visit: Wellsfry Ready For OfficialCoaches are gearing up for another week of official visitors to the Oregon State campus, including offensive line commit Brock Wellsfry. BeaverBlitz checks in to see what he's…
BeaverBlitzWednesday at 3:26 PM
Following the Future: Week 15BeaverBlitz.com will touch base with the 2017 commits weekly to hear how they did during the week. Keep tabs with our popular Following the Future weekly feature.
BeaverBlitzWednesday at 3:10 PM