Jones' walk-off caps another rally for Ducks

In a season that has already seen its share of dramatic victories, the No. 6 ranked Oregon Ducks (40-14) added another one to the record books as Aaron Jones' walk-off RBI double capped a wild comeback for a 5-4 win on Saturday afternoon at PK Park against the Seattle Redhawks (22-26).

Jones' one-out hit off of Redhawks reliever Eric Yardley scored Aaron Payne from first base after he was hit by a pitch by Yardley during the previous at-bat.

"I got myself into a good count and I knew a fastball was coming so I got my swing off," Jones said.

The Ducks scored a run in each of the last four innings to complete the comeback after stumbling on offense early in the ball game against Redhawks starter Brandon Kizer. The win pushed the Ducks record to 15-4 in one run games this season.

"We just kept grinding and doing what we do," UO head coach George Horton said. "You know, four one's in a row to win the game…probably that scoreboard right there is pretty indicative of our entire season."

Oregon put their first three batters on base in the first inning, culminating with a RBI single by first baseman Ryon Healy to give the Ducks an early lead. After that, Kizer stifled the Ducks bats by retiring 13 straight hitters before Connor Hofmann singled with one out in the fifth inning.

Kizer lasted 7 1/3 innings and was eventually tagged for four runs on six hits with two walks just one week after giving up one run on four hits in a dominating performance against Ohio State.

After scoring a run in the sixth inning on a RBI ground out by Kyle Garlick to cut a two run deficit in half, the Ducks tied the game on shortstop J.J. Altobelli's RBI single off of Kizer. The Redhawks added another run in the eighth inning when Roberts scored on a Joey Housey passed ball, but the Ducks responded with a two-out RBI single by Ryan Hambright to score pinch runner Kevin Shepherd.

"Sometimes when things go sideways you try and do more than you should," Payne said. "We just said stick with what we've been doing and we'll come through it and we ended up doing that in the later innings."

Ducks starter Jake Reed struggled to keep the Redhawks off the base paths, giving up three runs and 10 hits over 6 2/3 innings pitched. Reed retired the first four batters he faced to start the game before giving up three straight singles that led to a run on Nate Roberts RBI sac fly that tied the game in the second inning.

Reed found more trouble in the third inning, allowing the first four batters to reach base leading to a RBI single by Redhawks designated hitter Riley Tompkins and a RBI for first baseman Jace Sloan as he grounded into a double play. Reed continued to grind it out until Billy Flamion came on with two outs in the seventh inning.

Housey and left-handed reliever Tommy Thorpe held the Redhawks at bay in the ninth inning, setting the stage for Jones' late-game heroics. Jones and Healy each had two hits to lead the Ducks offensively.

"It's one of the most enjoyable teams I've ever been around," UO head coach George Horton said. "They just find a way to win. It's different all the time."

The Ducks and Redhawks finish up their three game series on Sunday at noon.


Attendance at PK Park was 2,135.

Payne (13 games) and Altobelli (15 games) each extended their consecutive games reached base streaks, while Kyle Garlick's 11 game streak was snapped on with a 0-for-4 day.

The Ducks left seven men on base to the Redhawks nine.

eDuck Top Stories