Juwaan Williams Nearing Decision

Down to the nitty gritty of the recruitment process, three-star, triple threat athlete Juwaan Williams from Tucker (Ga.) has narrowed his college choices down to three schools.

Williams wasted no time naming the three schools still in contention for him.

"Right now I've talked to Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and Oregon," Williams said.

With those three schools, Williams said it has been hard trying to figure out which one he wants to attend. Each school has its positives and he can see himself excelling with each of them.

"I put pressure on myself because they are three great schools and institutions and I can go along with any of them," Williams said. "I would say the predicament I'm in is just choosing which one I want to go to. If I had a choice I would go to all three.

"I would say the most difficult part is deciding which school I want to stay at for four years. Do I want to live in South Bend, Ind. for four years or do I want to live in Nashville, Tenn. for four years or Eugene, Ore. This isn't what I expected starting the season my junior year. It's just so overwhelming and humbling."

Williams said after his visit to Eugene that he enjoyed the small town atmosphere the city had and said that his visit to Notre Dame was a similar experience.

"When I went to South Bend, it felt comforting. It's a small town feel, everyone knew everybody," Williams said.

He added that a smaller enrollment and more one-on-one time with teachers were also positives that he took away from his visit. But, when it comes to naming a leader at this point, Williams has a different school in mind.

"I would say I'm leaning more toward Oregon," Williams said. "But I'm still contemplating the other two schools. I would say it's Oregon (at number one) and Vanderbilt and Notre Dame are fighting closely for the second spot."

Williams said he talked to Oregon head coach Chip Kelly last week and discussed his possibilities of leaving the school and joining the NFL.

"Me and Coach Kelly talked Sunday because we were talking about his situation," Williams said. "He was still contemplating whether he was going or not and we were just waiting for the verdict. The whole conversation was about the stability of the staff. He told me if he were to leave that (offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich) would be promoted to head coach and everything would still be fine. They would still have staff continuity and that was whole meeting the athletic director and the football staff had earlier."

Williams is still talking on a weekly basis with Oregon defensive backs coach John Neal but hasn't talked to him since dead period ended. With one trip left to take, he's close to announcing his decision.

"I have three more but I'm only taking one of the three and that's to Vanderbilt next week," Williams said. "I'll probably be making my decision the week after Vanderbilt."

eDuck Top Stories