Ducks End Regular Season with 65-62 Win

The Oregon Ducks (23-8, 13-5) finished the regular season by beating Oregon State (17-13, 8-10) at Gill Coliseum in Corvallis on Wednesday by a score of 65-62. Elgin Cook was the leading scorer with 17 for the Ducks in a hard fought game. Three other Ducks also scored in double-figures.

(PHOTO) Oregon Ducks guard Joseph Young (3) looks for an open teammate while defended by Oregon State Beavers guards Gary Payton II (1) and Malcolm Duvivier (11) during the first half of the game at Gill Coliseum. Credit: Godofredo Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Oregon had to overcome a poor shooting night as the Ducks finished shooting 36.4 percent on 20-of-55 shooting from the field including 6-for-22 in 3-pointers but did take advantage of 19-of-24 free throw shooting.

Oregon State put up a very stingy defense that was mostly responsible for the poor shooting percentage as the Ducks seemed to struggle to find the spots they wanted to take their shots from.

The game was tied at halftime 32 all.

The Ducks had initially taken an 8-0 lead after Oregon State Head Coach Wayne Tinkle started all of the walk-ons as the game was senior night for OS but there are no seniors on the squad. After the Beavers made a second straight turnover and trailing 3-0, Tinkle swapped the side and the Beavers began working their way back into the game.

Oregon State actually took the lead 14-13 at the 11:06 mark in the first half and the extended the lead to 28-21 until Joseph Young hit a jumper to cut the lead to 28-23 with 2:36 left in the half. Then with 2:10 left in the half, OS's Gary Payton II was called for a technical on a dead ball foul for shoving Oregon's Dylon Brooks after the whistle had blown stopping play. Young hit the two free throws, then in the last two minutes, Young hit two more free throws and found Dwayne Benjamin for a big 3-point shot that tied the game ending the half.

The second half was more of the same as the two teams traded leads but at the 13:14 mark, Payton picked up his fourth foul and went to the bench with Oregon State leading 44-41. Oregon managed to tie the game at 44 following another Benjamin 3-pointer and neither team were able to build a lead of more that four until late in the game. With 13 seconds left in the contest, Dillon Brooks hit two free throws putting Oregon up by five, 62-58. However, the Beavers were far from being done and came back down court and Payton (who had returned the game) found Olaf Schaftenaar in the corner, who hit a 3-pointer cutting Oregon's lead to 63-61 with eight seconds to play. On the following inbounds play, Jalil Abdul-Basset was fouled and hit two free throws with only five seconds showing on the clock. Payton then took the ball on the inbounds, raced down court driving to the hoop, however his shot was blocked by Jordan Bell, but body contact sent Payton to the line. Payton hit the first shot but intentionally missed the second to no avail as the Beavers were called for a lane violation. Oregon inbounded the ball to Benjamin, but the Beavers, out of timeout, could not foul Benjamin and time expired.

Elgin Cook finished with 17 points followed by Young's 15. Bassit and Benjamin both had 12 each.

Oregon State's Malcolm Duvivier was the game's leading scorer with 18. Jarmal Reid had 16 while Payton added 13 and Schaftenaar had 11.

The Beavers were 24-of-56 (42.9 percent) in field goal shooting including 6-for-18 in 3-pointers. However, OS only went to the line 11 times and were good on eight attempts.

Oregon held a 39-34 advantage in rebounds and the Ducks got the edge by grabbing five more offensive boards than the Beavers.

Next up for both teams is the Pac-12 Tournament in Las Vegas. Oregon has secured the No. 3 spot but could move up should Utah lose its final two games of the year to Washington State and Washington (both games are on the road for the Utes.)

eDuck Top Stories