Brian Losness-USA TODAY Sports

Oregon mounts a furious comeback in the final three minutes but come up 2-points short.

Despite a furious comeback in the final three minutes, the No 24 Oregon Ducks (7-2) stumbled to the Boise State Broncos, 74-72 in a game at Taco Bell Arena in Boise on Saturday afternoon.

(PHOTO)  Oregon Ducks forward Dillon Brooks (24) shoots over Boise State Broncos forward James Webb III (23) in the second half at Taco Bell Arena. Boise State defeat Oregon 74-72. Mandatory Credit: Brian Losness-USA TODAY Sports

Oregon was led in scoring by Dillon Brooks with 26 and it was behind his and Elgin Cooks hot shooting in the waning minutes of the game that put the Ducks in a position to either tie or win the game in the last seconds of the contest. Trailing 70-59 with three minutes left on the clock, Brooks hit a three-pointer and 30 seconds later Cook hit a trey to cut BSU’s lead to 70-65. Another minute went by when Brooks connected again on a 3-pointer cutting the lead to 74-68 and following that at Cook hit a 3 to cut the lead to 74-71. Kendall Small went to the free throw line with 49 seconds left in the game and hit one of two after being fouled on a drive to make the score 74-72. The Ducks got possession with 29 seconds left to go when Jordan Bell, making his first appearance of the season in this game, stole the ball setting up the final possession.

With time running out, Brooks had the ball at the top of the key, drove in and apparently was fouled but no call was made and his shot attempt fell off the rim with BSU swatting the ball away from any Duck attempting a put back, and the game ended.

Oregon had played well in the early part of the game and at one point had a 10-point lead, 21-11, at the 12:17 mark of the first half after a Casey Benson jumper. From that point though, the Ducks went icy cold and had trouble controlling the ball. Oregon went scoreless for nearly five minutes and when the Ducks finally scored to make it 24-23 Boise State, the Broncos were on their way to controlling the game. At halftime it was 41-28 BSU and things were looking gloomy for Oregon, especially after Dwayne Benjamin left the contest early in the second half with what appeared to be a sprained ankle.

BSU steadily built a lead in the second half, and held the biggest margin over the Ducks at 67-50 with 6:45 left in the game. The Ducks chipped away at the lead until the 3-minute mark when the hot 3-point shooting from Brooks and Cook made it a very competitive game at the end.

Brooks was the leading scorer in the game with 26 points, he also had three rounds and two blocked shots. Cook finished with 22 points and seven rebounds. Chris Boucher six points and nine rebounds and Bell had three points, seven rebounds and two blocked shots.

BSU had 19 points from Anthony Drmic, 12 from James Webb and 11 points from Mikey Thompson.

For the game, Oregon shot 43.1 percent on 25-of-58 shooting including 9-for-21 in 3-pointers and was 13-of-19 in free throws. BSU shot 42.6 percent on 23-of-54 field goal shooting including 11-of-29 beyond the 3-point line and 17-of-23 from the line.

Oregon outrebounded BSU 36-31 but had two more turnovers (11-9).

Up next, the Ducks are back at the friendly confines of Matthew Knight Arena for an 8 p.m. tipoff against Cal-Irvine on Tuesday, Dec. 15. That game will be aired on the Pac-12 Networks.

eDuck Top Stories