Pivo's College Football Surprising Ten
10) Boise State (5-1) Haven't missed a beat with Dirk Koetter's departure. Broncos quarterback is former Churchill HS standout B.J. Rhode.
9) N.C. State (6-0 and ranked 12th in the country)- Things should get tougher with Clemson, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Virginia, and Florida State on the horizon.
8) Minnesota (5-1)- Cupcake season is over. We'll see what Gohpers are made of in the last 5 games of the season when they play Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
7) Air Force (5-0 and ranked 17th)- Falcons should be 7-0 when Notre Dame visits on October 19th.
6) Bowling Green (4-0)- Averaging 50 points per game.
5) Penn State (4-1 and ranked 15th)- Apparently the game hasn't passed by Joe Paterno.
4) Kentucky(4-1)- The Mitch Barnhart magic is working in Lexington.
3) Iowa State (5-1 and ranked 11th)- Only loss is by 7 points to Florida State.
2) Notre Dame (5-0 and ranked 8th)- Was Tyrone Willingham really their second choice?
1) Cal (4-2)- How can Cal beat two Top 15 teams and not be ranked while Washington's 3 wins are against Idaho, San Jose State, and Wyoming and they're still in the Top 25? Jeff Tedford is the best thing to happen to Berkeley since Top Dog opened its doors.
Ron Pivo is a Sports Reporter and Anchor for KGW Northwest NewsChannel 8, in Portland and can be seen weekdays. Ron's prior experience includes working as a sports reporter and anchor at KMTR-TV(NBC) in Eugene, as Sports Director at KOBI-TV(NBC) in Medford and as Sports Director at KPIC-TV(CBS) in Roseburg.
A native of Encino, California, Pivo graduated from California State University-Northridge with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Broadcast Journalism and a Minor in Sociology. Ron and his wife Joanna have one cat, named Winston. In his spare time, Ron enjoys golfing, listening to music and spending quality time with his family.
Ron is happy to hear from readers, whether you agree or disagree. Click on Pivo and tell Ron what you think.